Stadia exclusives to have features “not possible” on home hardware

M76

[H]F Junkie
When Google launches its Stadia streaming service on November 19, it will only include titles that are also available on standard PCs and consoles. Going forward, though, the company says it's going to focus on first-party exclusives "that wouldn't be possible on any other platform."

Part of that promise is the ability to use Google's distributed data center hardware to perform real-time calculations that can't be done on even the most powerful home hardware. "A fully physics-simulated game is one of the Holy Grails of game creation since Trespasser was being imagined 20-something years ago, and now we finally have a platform where we'll be able to deliver some of those experiences,"

Drawing inspiration from Google's AI-powered natural-language virtual-phone-call-assistant "Duplex" project, she foresees story-based Stadia games with characters that have "believable human interactions" rather than canned lines of repeated dialogue. She also talked up the potential to watch a YouTube documentary that includes footage of a classic game, then jump into a Stadia-powered gameplay session with that game directly.

Link

Lies, awful lies. The fact is that "home hardware" is much more powerful than it was in 1998, if someone wanted to do a fully physics based game it would be possible. The reason they don't do it is because it is a game designer's nightmare. You can't control the narrative if everything is possible in a game based on physics. And there were physics based indie games like "I am bread" so this is a shameless lie.

Also an AI capable of generating random plausible responses doesn't need distributed hardware. Hell my Sound Blaster 2.0 demo disk included a voice synthesizer software that could formulate rudimentary responses. That was in 1994.

So all of this is possible on a home system if someone wanted to do it.

It might help with the net code of MMOs that all the processing is done on the same system, but that's only a developer convenience, not something that enhances player experience.

Part of that promise is the ability to use Google's distributed data center hardware to perform real-time calculations that can't be done on even the most powerful home hardware. "A fully physics-simulated game is one of the Holy Grails of game creation since Trespasser was being imagined 20-something years ago, and now we finally have a platform where we'll be able to deliver some of those experiences,"

this is so dumb and written by a marketing psued.

Also an AI capable of generating random plausible responses doesn't need distributed hardware. Hell my Sound Blaster 2.0 demo disk included a voice synthesizer software that could formulate rudimentary responses. That was in 1994.

"Hello. I'm Dr SBAITSO. From Creative Labs. Please tell me your name."

Microsoft is already doing this with the next Flight Simulator and you still play the game locally. Sorry, Google, but I'm still not going to be buying your shitty service. And believing that exclusives is a positive selling point for PC gaming :ROFLMAO:.

I’ll believe this when Someone puts a cray supercomputer in my house to run crysis

Google Stadia has "Potential". Potential is wasted energy.

Google: You don't want me to use my server CPU's. My server CPU's are registered weapons. I have the fastest gaming PC with 24 core 2.7Ghz Intel CPU's and a Vega 56, and you can't afford this. The CPU alone costs more than your car, and my Vega 56 is special because AMD said so and I paid $1k for it. Your stupid Intel 9900K with RTX 2080 can't touch this. I don't need Ray-Tracing because I have physics. I would release my future exclusive games on PC but your 9900K would blow up if it tried. Stadia servers are the best, 'Google employee's making zoom noises with their mouths.'

I'll give Google this, the shit they say about Stadia is hilarious.

Basically what I was saying in the *stadia not so good* thread

It's fine to not be a fan but to say it's not possible and it's all lies without backing anything up is weak

If anything some of you should let the guys at Google know so they don't waste their time

Personally I have more faith in the guys at Google and the fact that they have the abilities to create something interesting that who knows might even contribute to "local" gaming

Personally I have more faith in the guys at Google and the fact that they have the abilities to create something interesting that who knows might even contribute to "local" gaming

From what I've seen, Google is all about the cloud and $$$$$$$$

Basically what I was saying in the *stadia not so good* thread

It's fine to not be a fan but to say it's not possible and it's all lies without backing anything up is weak

If anything some of you should let the guys at Google know so they don't waste their time
I don't think anyone is saying it isn't possible, just that it doesn't need Stadia's special servers to do it. Half Life 2 has some of the best physics ever and that's from 2004. It's just a matter of game designers being lazy, not a limitation of the hardware.

Personally I have more faith in the guys at Google and the fact that they have the abilities to create something interesting that who knows might contribute to "local" gaming
Chances are anything that Google develops will be exclusive to Stadia. The biggest contributor to local gaming is unfortunately the Playstation 5, assuming Sony doesn't screw that up. That'll make 8 core CPU's with Ray-Tracing the standard. Where's Ray-Tracing in Stadia's future?

Graphics is just one aspect of many that it takes to make a great video game.

The best games I've played in recent years have been from independent studios, Kingdom Come: Deliverance comes to mind. Monopolies like google target maximum profit, a strategy that hobbles fresh and unique game ideas.

You're going to give poor DukeX a coronary with a headline like this.
BfyXuwR.gif

The "advantage" they're touting is that it's running on a supercomputer that could do cool "AI" and "physics" stuff a normal PC can't.

If it's something that doesn't involve real time per frame rendering it could just as easily be done using normal pc getting that data from the server.

If it's some mega physics per frame calculations that requires tons of cores and memory that only a supercomputer could do then that means they essentially need a supercomputer for each user. Lol. That's not going to happen. They could of course scale it down to handle 10 users per server or whatever, but as they do that it becomes less impressive and more likely a gaming pc is just as capable of the same calculations.

So basically stadia won't do anything a high end gaming pc can't.

Lies, awful lies. The fact is that "home hardware" is much more powerful than it was in 1998, if someone wanted to do a fully physics based game it would be possible. The reason they don't do it is because it is a game designer's nightmare. You can't control the narrative if everything is possible in a game based on physics. And there were physics based indie games like "I am bread" so this is a shameless lie.

Agreed. If you use distributed computing across everyone connected to a game server, you wind up with WAY more computing power than Google would provision to that same game server in Stadia.

That, and you'll still have the latency problem.

Let's be real. If they really had such capability they would have shown some sort of tech demo to prove it.

Agreed. If you use distributed computing across everyone connected to a game server, you wind up with WAY more computing power than Google would provision to that same game server in Stadia.

That, and you'll still have the latency problem.
I think we all know you're not going to get server clusters dedicated to calculating physics for one player of one game. More like your game will run on a virtual machine with dozens if not hundreds of others crammed on the same shared HW.

Let's be real. If they really had such capability they would have shown some sort of tech demo to prove it.
The point is that we don't need google to do it. I mean if you have a 8+ core CPU half the cores are idle during gaming most of the time. They could easily calculate much more complex physics if that was desirable by developers as games have been graphics limited for at least the past 15 years.

We've had racing games with full fluid simulation and softbodies as far back as the very early 2000s.

The "advantage" they're touting is that it's running on a supercomputer that could do cool "AI" and "physics" stuff a normal PC can't.

If it's something that doesn't involve real time per frame rendering it could just as easily be done using normal pc getting that data from the server.

If it's some mega physics per frame calculations that requires tons of cores and memory that only a supercomputer could do then that means they essentially need a supercomputer for each user. Lol. That's not going to happen. They could of course scale it down to handle 10 users per server or whatever, but as they do that it becomes less impressive and more likely a gaming pc is just as capable of the same calculations.

So basically stadia won't do anything a high end gaming pc can't.
Lets be real here, Stadia is not renting you a high end PC. Stadia is not renting you a mid range PC. Stadia is renting you something like 2-4 threads of their Xeon CPU's and about 1/3 or 1/2 of a FirePro equivalent Vega 56 GPU. For $10 a month you get the entire FirePro Vega 56 which can't do 4k 60fps. More likely Stadia is up-scaling 1440p to 4k and hope nobody notices, just like how they hope nobody notices the input lag.

Whatever physics game they create it'll maybe use 8 threads at best, which is still not as fast as a Ryzen 3700x, let alone a 9900K. Pretty sure a Ryzen 2400g would still outperform it in CPU performance. Google isn't renting you hardware that costs more than most new cars for $10 per month. Google is renting you a slice, and that slice is already outdated. Do they have Ray-Tracing?

The point is that we don't need google to do it. I mean if you have a 8+ core CPU half the cores are idle during gaming most of the time. They could easily calculate much more complex physics if that was desirable by developers as games have been graphics limited for at least the past 15 years.

We've had racing games with full fluid simulation and softbodies as far back as the very early 2000s.
EverQuest Next would have been the most amazing game in terms of physics, and they had a demo back in 2013. The PS4 and XB1 have terrible CPU's when compared to desktop PC's, and because of this physics took a back seat. A 2500K from 2011 would still work really well in 2019, especially overclocked to 4.5Ghz. A modern Ryzen 8 core CPU is just a really good deal for what you get. As much as Google wants to tout their server CPU's, they aren't built for gaming.

Stadia launch games revealed

Google's streaming system will have 12 games at launch and will add 14 more by the end of the year...

This really looks like a low effort project by Google. I think they could do some really cool stuff, however that tiny list of games is just unfortunate.

This really looks like a low effort project by Google. I think they could do some really cool stuff, however that tiny list of games is just unfortunate.

Maybe low effort, idk.but Goog already dumped millions into this. probly should stop comparing to a desktop experience and take it for what it is.

dead by november 2020

We can hope. I highly encourage everyone NOT to buy one, even to try it out. We don't want game streaming from The Cloud(tm) to become a thing. Publishers would love it: The ability to take away all ownership of games where they have complete control over what you can play, when you can play it, the ability to charge you to keep playing shit you already have, etc. Regardless of any upsides, game streaming is not something we want in the hands of the greedy companies currently out there, so we don't want to do anything to help it succeed.

surprised by the pessimism shown here... of course huge arrays of computers can do things no single home computer can do... I agree that it's not worth much attention until you have a cool working demo though... show us those voxel-based 120fps 8k full animated and describable infinitely detailed photorealstic worlds that look good and are a joy to be in... until then, yea it's just fluffy talk, and nobody really cares about talking to robots, you can do that on Reddit

Wasnt there a physics pitch for Crackdown3 using similar cloud tech?

Sure was! Some sort of Microsoft Cloud bullshit that will do accurate world destruction. I remember that bullshit being talked about with Forza 5's "Driveatars" too. Felt no different whatsoever.

It's just all marketing speak.

Drawing inspiration from Google's AI-powered natural-language virtual-phone-call-assistant "Duplex" project, she foresees story-based Stadia games with characters that have "believable human interactions" rather than canned lines of repeated dialogue.

I'm sure that's the real "holy grail" of this gaming project: harvesting the data from a myriad of paying customers beta testing the fuck out of various algorithms and AI prototypes.

yea what better way to reverse engineer humans, a sort of "machine learning" soon to be used to supplement the cylons and others in preparation for the inevitable...

surprised by the pessimism shown here... of course huge arrays of computers can do things no single home computer can do... I agree that it's not worth much attention until you have a cool working demo though... show us those voxel-based 120fps 8k full animated and describable infinitely detailed photorealstic worlds that look good and are a joy to be in... until then, yea it's just fluffy talk, and nobody really cares about talking to robots, you can do that on Reddit

google + cloud gaming = optimism then? got some pizza down the wrong tube? this product has zero inherent advantages over local cpu resource and the only reason publishers are interested is so that they can finally force everyone onto gaming-as-a-service. the collective groans come from the dishonest wrapping and wrapping of this "product" around bs and buzzword marketing hype.

does anyone seriously think that isnt what is happening here? even one serious person? bueller? hello?

I wasn't talking about the "google" aspect of it, I'm also in that shrinking minority that likes everything to be offline, but I do recall similar moans from folks when streaming music/video started to become a thing and now look at how things turned out...

I wasn't talking about the "google" aspect of it, I'm also in that shrinking minority that likes everything to be offline, but I do recall similar moans from folks when streaming music/video started to become a thing and now look at how things turned out...
I still don't like streaming, but that is besides the lag.

The good thing about Stadia being a Google project is you know it will get canned like everything else Google touches outside Android and their search engine.

I wonder how long before we see original titles with impressive visuals. Google have to be starting a studio in house especially for this which means they must be recruiting

Back