Stability with 4x2GB on P5Q Pro?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
Now that my next OS upgrade is going to be to W7 64 bit in the next year about, I figure I might as well pop in some extra RAM. I'm thinking of grabbing 2 more 2gb sticks but I fear it will mess with my OC and cause some extremely screwed up stabality issues that I've heard about in the past. Is this true and not worth the small benefit that I will get from the extra 4gb of RAM? Just for reference, my max stable OC is 4.5GHz but I'm running at 4ghz, so I have a lot of head room.

I am at 3.6 with 8gigs or Corsair XMS. Went from 4 to 8 with no change in my OC and no problems.

I just went through this with my Deluxe. First of all which bios are you on? Bios 2002m it's a version modded by Ket you can find the links from XS or TPU. This bios helped me out alot. I'm hearing really good things about 2001m for the pro as well. Either way 8gb of ram with a high fsb really stresses these boards. Be sure that you keep the northbridge cool. Atleast strap a fan to it and replace the TIM with something decent. I needed to tweek the NBgtl since if it's off a bit it can really throw you off. For instace my stable settings for 4:5 will not even post at 1:1. I've found Prime Large FFTs set to custom and using all of your ram to be the best stress test. You will need a fair amount of VTT and to bump up your vNB. If your vDRAM is too high or too low it can cause issues as well.

Last edited:
More stuff than I'm willing to go through, ha. I should really check out my northbridge temps... I'm running a bit of a high voltage on it and I have it passively cooled, though my side fan on my antec is blowing onto it.

Back