Stability tests for 10th gen 10900k/10850k?

The fans can be set low, balanced, extreme, or custom. The pump can only be set to quiet or extreme. With fans on low and the pump on extreme it's the loudest thing in the system. There might be a happy medium I need to find. My case is a little "custom" to keep the sound down, and to keep the cat from laying on or puking into the computer so that isn't helping anything.

View attachment 323505

edit: I tried a few Handbrake passes using 4k and 1080 but couldn't get CPU use over about 65%. Max of about 80c on the hottest core. Voltage of 1.37 max per core.

This post really made me lol. I've had cats with a penchant for plonking down and taking a nap anywhere, no matter how inconvenient, not to mention leaving their little calling cards in the form of recycled fur balls.

Photo08121325.jpg

View attachment 323021

All I did on mine was set the CPU Core/Cache Voltage to "Adaptive" and another menu will pop up allowing you to set limits. It will have a value for +/- signs (+ by default) and then you can set the adaptive voltage. The voltage should stay around this value. Your actual voltages could still go above that. Voltage caps can be set elsewhere in the BIOS but I wouldn't use them. In other words adaptive voltage isn't a voltage cap exactly. Basically, overcurrent values and other settings will allow the voltage past what you've set for adaptive voltage, but this setting will reign in what your motherboard is trying to do. Before I made the change my system was overheating and not boosting correctly. CPU-Z showed a voltage of 1.51v a lot of the time. This was also even with MCE set to auto or even disabled. The voltages used by default on Z490 boards are insane. Gamer's Nexus has a whole video about it.
This looks like a screenshot you grabbed from somewhere else, but regardless If your CPU VCCIO and CPU System Agent Voltage are set to auto, change them to 1.2V manually you'll see a dramatic temperature drop on your cores. You might be able to do as low as 1.15V, or may need 1.25V depending on how fast of ram and your silicon lottery luck.

This looks like a screenshot you grabbed from somewhere else, but regardless If your CPU VCCIO and CPU System Agent Voltage are set to auto, change them to 1.2V manually you'll see a dramatic temperature drop on your cores. You might be able to do as low as 1.15V, or may need 1.25V depending on how fast of ram and your silicon lottery luck.
Careful, you have no idea who you are talking to.
He's the guy everyone else take screenshots from. ie his articles/reviews!

Careful, you have no idea who you are talking to.
He's the guy everyone else take screenshots from. ie his articles/reviews!
Gotcha :LOL:, still good information for newer overclockers that might see the screenshot and not know any better

did the big FPS Review logo not give it away?
I knew it was a screenshot/capture, but I wasn't familiar with Dan_D's work or that it would be his own 👼

Regardless, VCCSA and VCCIO are good to set manually to save on some heat, in that screen he was running auto on both at ~1.3V, you could shave several degrees off load temperatures by manually setting them to ~1.2V give or take depending on stability.

They may not matter much when your load temps are cool enough, but if you are pushing it (as is the case with ochadd and edo101) they can make all the difference!

Because I was concerned I had a bad board and/or memory/cpu because of cpu internal errors HWiNFO64 reported while unraring large archives (have since discovered it was a bad archive that would pass Winrar integraty checks but caused winrar crashes and the cpu internal errors), I really tortured my poor 'puter with Handbreak, and both Prime95 cpu & memory tests and was amazed at how much heat would radiate from the mesh at the top of my Phanteks P500A DRGB case pushing out 125 watts of power... I could have heated my living room in winter with that, I think, lol yet my thermals stayed well within safe limits. Right now I'm trying to get all my fans working right but it seems a mess. Using both EVGA Flow Control software and Asus Fan Xpert 4 but it's damn sloppy.

Back