Stability testing app (super pi, P95, etc.) in a "live" OS?

Jonnycat99

Limp Gawd
Howdy,

I am looking to do a little o/c soon, but I would like to do my stability testing while my main OS/HDD is offline. So, I'll be using a "live" OS (Knoppix, BartPE, et cetera).

Has anyone already done this, and/or have any tips or suggestions on getting the stability app (like super pi or Prime95) to run on a live disto?

Thanks for any tips,

Jon

The "Ultimate Boot CD" has most of the apps like Memtest, Prime, Disk checkers, etc on it.
I always run Memtest86+ off it before install an OS on any new computer.
Down side is they only fire up a single copy of Prime, so it does not really stress test a dual/ quad core CPU.

Orthos will fire up as many copies as needed to fully strees test the CPU but I have no experiance of running that off a linux CD.

Luck ........ :D

The point of testing the overclock is to make sure it will work with your application and OS.

So you have to run it in Windows! o whatever other OS you'll be using!

Thx Tiger, the windows version of that is a modification of BartPE with things already installed. I'll see how it works; any idea if it has a CPU temperature reading app?

And Orion, thx for the tip.

Thanks, Matt, but neither of those two applications are listed in either the UBCD or UBCD for Windows descriptions.

How did you get those two apps to work in UBCD (or are they hidden in it somewhere?)

Alright, thx again, Tiger. I burned the UBCD for Windows, and it had both speedfan and P95 on it, and in a WinXP environment as well. . Unfortunately, the version of SF (4.28) that came with UBCD4W didn't show my core temp, but I swapped the .exe and .dll for the newer one (4.31), and it's working perfectly now.

Back