Stab me in the eye... Another LCD recommendation request

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
currently use an SGI 22"CRT for gaming. Besides the fact that one can develop a strained testicle with moving (far better than my old FW900... but still), I'm noticing the colors are becoming more washed out.

Primary Purpose: Gaming (FPS, some SC,C&C) and movies (some 720p mostly 1080p .mkv, and will add Blu-Ray later on)

Price: Max of $400

I like the idea of the improved color support with an IPS, but I honestly do not have any level of experience to say one is better than the other (vs. TN). Input lag / ghosting is a huge issue for me, the only reason why I have yet to transition to an LCD.

Pretty settled on the Acer GD235HZ from TigerDirect (live about 3 hours away), but I am absolutely open on other suggestions. I do realize it's a TN, but smooth game play / rendering is a primary for me.

Thanks in advance!

They Have 27" 120hz comming out, you might want to hold your breath for what samsung as in store for us?

I just got a HP ZR24W and I'm loving it. My buddy got the 30" version (ZR30W) and it's awesome as well. You should be able to find the 24" for under $400.

Just gonna throw an unbiased, objective perspective to the 16:10 vs. 16:9 in here :)

With that out of the way, it seems like for your requirements, a TN would work just fine if you're okay with monitors 24" and smaller. Anything bigger, and the viewing angle problems will become very noticeable, which may or may not ruin your movie watching experience. You should definitely consider an IPS panel, if you want a bigger monitor than that, but like others have mentioned, if you're primarily in it for the games, maybe hold your breath a little longer for a decent 120 Hz monitor :)

Going to a 120hz TN, you'll notice the least difference in input lag and ghosting.
You'll definately notice a difference with color, though.
Prepare for gamma shift.

::Chuckles:: Thanks guys. I"m attempting to hold out to see what the consensus is on the upcoming Samsung 120Hz.

Any of the E-IPS based panels are VERY good for gaming. 16:9 or not; they all have low input lag and very good accelerated response times. I wouldn't shy away from any of them. I prefer the HP ZR24W; since it's what I bought and I really like 8-bit per pixel again for games (since I haven't used a true 8-bit display since my CRT). 120hz IS very nice for response time, and it actually helps reduce RTC artifacts; but forcing games to use 120 is a pain. Plus I can't see spending $340 for another g'damn TN panel :). You can always go cheap the first time around; a standard 60hz 2ms TN LED based 23" panel is more than enough for most gamers.

Back