st61g4 wont install xp to ssd

nightfly

2[H]4U
I wanted to upgrade an older computer, a Shuttle st61g4. Running XP, with one gig memory and a Northwood 3 gig P4 processor and ATI 4650 agp video, it will play 720p video just fine as well as dvd's. But when I try to use SSD's it doesn't recognize them after the initial phase of installation; it sees them on initial viewing, but when I go to designate the C partition it shows no disks. I tried formatting it and setting the partitions in another machine but that doesn't work either. Is there something in the bios that will recognize sata platter drives but not ssd's? The bios is the most recent, but even that is from 2004. There is room for a small pci card behind the agp card, would that work if I put in some kind of bootable sata card? And, which one would fit?
If not, is there some motherboard that will fit that uses a modern processor?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the problem or not... I've heard of people having trouble with older bios systems having difficulty installing to an SSD.

The solution I heard was to install windows to a mechanical (internal or external) and then clone the drive over to the SSD.

I'm at work, so I don't really have time to find specific posts unfortunately.

Hope this helps in any case, probably some others around here will throw down as well.

Back