ST4000VN000 vs. H3IKNAS40003272SN

tenub

Limp Gawd
I can't decide which one to buy, the Seagate or the Hitachi. This drive will be used on a personal computer for storage/downloads/etc. (ie. no program installs). Someone mentioned the Seagate had 4 platters whereas the Hitachi has 5 (I am assuming less platters equates to better performance). Thoughts? Maybe even suggest a different drive? Obviously I value reliability firstly and performance secondly.

If it were me, I'd go with the Seagate. The last 2 drives I had fail on me were both Hitachi. That probably isn't very helpful but from the looks it, both drives are extremely similar.

The last 2 hard drive failures I've had have been from Seagate: the first after 1.5 years, the second after 4 months... I went with Western Digital Black with my newest drive because I had heard good things about this line. I can't speak to reliability since I've only had it for 2 years, but the performance is great for a 7200 RPM 1TB drive. WD Black drives are on the more expensive side for a magnetic platter drive, though. WD has a line of NAS drives called Red.

I vote hitachi as well, I've had 24 of them online 24/7 for the last 5 years without a single failure. The backblaze post also backs up their reliability with a MUCH larger sample size than mine.

Alright folks. Went ahead and got the H3IKNAS40003272SN from NewEgg since it's the last day of the $20 off promotion ($179.99 is still expensive though!). Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised by the performance increase over my current Samsung F4 2TB that seems to be slowing down. Thanks for all the replies!

Back