SSL VPN - looking for suggestions

lassiterb

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2009
I am currently evaluating an SSL VPN (Web VPN) solution for the company I work for and am looking for suggestions from anyone with experience managing one. We were using a product called SSL-Explorer with a license that was bought a few years ago, however the computer finally died and no usable backups of the appliance are available. The product was bought by Barracuda networks and the continuation of it is now known as Barracuda SSL VPN Vx. I have been evaluating it today and so far so good, I like what I see. Pricing seems a little steep so I am also looking at alternatives such as Citrix Access Gateway VPX which I am currently downloading.

Our primary use of the SSL VPN is to provide an easy way for employees to connect remotely to their desktops or to a terminal server when working out of the office.

Any suggestions on other products I might look at or things I should consider before deciding on which one I will go with?

We use the Sonicwall SSLVPN products. Work great no issues but we use all Sonicwall gear for our Firewall/VPN stuff.

I love the Cisco ASA web vpn if you want clientless, but it cost a pretty penny.

I have a Juniper SA6500 here, works well and I have no complaints.

First..."How many remote users?" will there be, as far as max concurrent.

The model you select should be based on that.

I also used to use SSL Explorer in the past.
Have moved some client from that, to Juniper SA series.

Fantastic product....fantastic support.

Since you mentioned SSL, Web VPN and Citrix in the same post, I'll assume you are referring to a clientless Web based VPN product, with access to specific applications through a web portal? Just clarifying for the thread.

Both Cisco and Juniper make great products which do this.

First..."How many remote users?" will there be, as far as max concurrent.

Currently we are at about 10 concurrent users max. but would like room to grow to atleast 20 with which ever we choose.

Since you mentioned SSL, Web VPN and Citrix in the same post, I'll assume you are referring to a clientless Web based VPN product, with access to specific applications through a web portal? Just clarifying for the thread.

Primary use is to allow clientless access to RDP so that employees can access their desktop or a terminal server remotely. Also will be using it to provide access to an internal website soon.

Sonicwalls are really easy to setup and configure. They have my vote.
Cisco/Juniper if you want to have more "fun"

Back