SSD's trim will not work

crewzen

Gawd
I now have purchased 4 SSD’s for 2 computers. I have installed a new Vista on one computer and Win 7 on the other. The problem I have now is that I can not install AHCI on either computer. I tried in the bios before installs but would not work and without AHCI the trim feature will not work. One computer is using a Asus A8R32-MVP D and the other computer is an Asus P6T . So how do I go about activation AHCI on these computers. I realy need help on this problem. Why has no one else had this problem?

It should work in both IDE and AHCI mode with MS's drivers in Win 7. You get better performance from the drives generally in AHCI mode.

What are the configs for the drives, are you running them in RAID?

the ssd's are in ide mode and trim will not work.

the drives have the latest updates also.

Last edited:
I have the toolbox for Vista if I can get the AHCI working.

Well I have been reading for a while now and have no luck yet.

I am running an A8R32-MVP Deluxe mobo. That has a ULi M1575 south bridge and I have not been able to find out how to enable AHCI with this mobo. Any help would be more
than welcome. I know its an older mobo.

I have run into a lot of bsod's but have be able to recover from them so far. Tried the regedit mods but they did not work. Help please.

Last edited:
I have the toolbox for Vista if I can get the AHCI working.

Well I have been reading for a while now and have no luck yet.

I am running an A8R32-MVP Deluxe mobo. That has a ULi M1575 south bridge and I have not been able to find out how to enable AHCI with this mobo. Any help would be more
than welcome. I know its an older mobo.

I have run into a lot of bsod's but have be able to recover from them so far. Tried the regedit mods but they did not work. Help please.

AFAIK that mobo doesn't support AHCI

If you're using the Intel Toolbox, the faux-TRIM command should still work in IDE mode. My Torqx was a Wiper.exe that does almost the same thing as the Toolbox, and it works on IDE too.

As you state I have the fake trim or toolbox working now. I would still like to get the AHCI working but it seems hopeless with my mobo.:eek:

will TRIM work if I have installed the Intel chipset drivers over the MS AHCI drivers?

will TRIM work if I have installed the Intel chipset drivers over the MS AHCI drivers?

No, automatic TRIM support from the OS will only work with Windows 7 using only Microsoft's built in AHCI drivers. No third-party drivers will pass the TRIM command to the disk yet. That will change, but we have no idea how long it'll take. Even the Wiper programs need the Microsoft drivers only, but I believe that Intel' drives might not have that restriction.

No, automatic TRIM support from the OS will only work with Windows 7 using only Microsoft's built in AHCI drivers. No third-party drivers will pass the TRIM command to the disk yet. That will change, but we have no idea how long it'll take. Even the Wiper programs need the Microsoft drivers only, but I believe that Intel' drives might not have that restriction.

Wiper works fine for me with the Intel chipset drivers...as far as TRIM when I type the "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" command line it tells me that TRIM is enabled (even when using Intel AHCI)...is that incorrect?

That "fsutil behavior DisableDeleteNotify" command coming back with "0" doesn't absolutely mean that TRIM is working. When I first got my drive, the firmware didn't have TRIM support, but the command would show that I did. I believe that the command is only useful for telling if the SSD is properly reporting the the OS that it is a SSD.

For Wiper, I tried using it with the AMD AHCI drivers and it wouldn't work, at all. It would just say that it couldn't find a compatible device.

The only way I know to find out for certain that TRIM is working is to get a baseline HD Tune score, and then move a few GB/s onto, and then back off the SSD. Retest. If there is any kind of deviation in the results, then TRIM isn't enabled. This is how I know that I now have automatic TRIM.

That "fsutil behavior DisableDeleteNotify" command coming back with "0" doesn't absolutely mean that TRIM is working. When I first got my drive, the firmware didn't have TRIM support, but the command would show that I did. I believe that the command is only useful for telling if the SSD is properly reporting the the OS that it is a SSD.

For Wiper, I tried using it with the AMD AHCI drivers and it wouldn't work, at all. It would just say that it couldn't find a compatible device.

The only way I know to find out for certain that TRIM is working is to get a baseline HD Tune score, and then move a few GB/s onto, and then back off the SSD. Retest. If there is any kind of deviation in the results, then TRIM isn't enabled. This is how I know that I now have automatic TRIM.

thanks for the info...I never knew that the Intel chipset drivers did not support TRIM...I've always run Wiper when I noticed any performance slowdown so I never paid attention to whether automatic TRIM was enabled or not...I think I'm going to remove the Intel AHCI driver and go back to the MS one now

I wish there was a program which told you for sure if TRIM was working properly...or at least a better way of knowing besides having to delete stuff from your SSD etc

I've yet to find any tool can tell you if TRIM is actually enabled and working. They all seem to check that it's just supported. If anyone else has a program that can definitively give us that information, please share.

Create a big file and delete it. Check your hard drive activity light, after about 15 seconds it should flicker constantly showing the ssd actually performing the TRIM command.

Back