SSDs life is dropping fast

Obi_1

n00b
I have a laptop 1+ years and its ssds life is droping 1% every 10 days recently. I use laptop for online studies so i use skype and onenote. Whats wrong? Today hard disk sentinel told me to check my disks situation continiously.
13-2-2021.png28-2-2021.png4-3-2021.png

That's a lot of power cycles, me thinks. Dunno if related, but between the last two screenshots you went from 4FF to 517 (1296 to 1303 in decimal) a difference of 7. But the first of the two shows 1279 for power on count, which would make the difference between the two 24.

I need to look up the specs (workin on it), but excessive power cycling can degrade a ssd.

That's a lot of power cycles, me thinks. Dunno if related, but between the last two screenshots you went from 4FF to 517 (1296 to 1303 in decimal) a difference of 7. But the first of the two shows 1279 for power on count, which would make the difference between the two 24.

I need to look up the specs (workin on it), but excessive power cycling can degrade a ssd.
The first acreen is from 13/2 second from 28/2 and the last from today.
screen.jpg

Last edited:
Are you turning the laptop off and on (avg) 6 times a day? Turn off hdd power saving features and see if the life keeps dropping– SSDs don't use much power at idle, anyway, although I guess it might be more than an idle intel cpu (depending on which).

This is your C drive, too, so it'll be getting a lot of reads (and more writes) just from running and swap (if enabled), plus windows updates, temp files, etc.. If you have another drive, or a lot of RAM, I'd recommend moving or disabling swap, too.

Should probably backup any important data now, too, just in casecthe drive decides to shit the bed.

Are you turning the laptop off and on (avg) 6 times a day? Turn off hdd power saving features and see if the life keeps dropping– SSDs don't use much power at idle, anyway, although I guess it might be more than an idle intel cpu (depending on which).

This is your C drive, too, so it'll be getting a lot of reads (and more writes) just from running and swap (if enabled), plus windows updates, temp files, etc.. If you have another drive, or a lot of RAM, I'd recommend moving or disabling swap, too.
How do i disable power saving from ssd? I have placed an hdd and the i write all my files. What is swap? I am totally noob sorry my friend.
This is my system

screen2.jpg

I have placed an hdd and the i write all my files.
Could you write this in a different way? The translation didn't come out correct, and I'm not sure what you were trying to say.

Swap is storage for working data which is not currently in use, but may be needed later for running programs. Data in RAM will be moved to swap when an active program needs data in RAM but there is not enough space available, or when a program has been terminated (to allow quick access to frequently used data). Swap is also used to store the entire system state when the laptop is put into Hibernate, so Hibernate will be disabled when swap is disabled.

HDD power savings can be disabled from the performance settings in windows (it might be called something else in your version of windows). Might be under power, or storage, in that menu. Sorry, don't have access to my windows machine right now.

i placed in pc a second disc snd there i save my files and downloads. ssd has windows and the preinstalled programs

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Thank you my friend ill check it
moving "page file/Swap file" onto a HDD hasn't been needed for a very long time (we are past 2nd gen SSDs here) just don't do it as it will make the PC go slow whenever the pagefile is used (it taken me 5 live streams to get a Twitch streamer to undo that bad advice as it was causing all sorts of stuttering when alt tabbing)

it might be that its a used ssd (seller might have reset the SMART to zero which might explain the accelerated health dropping with so little data been written) or fake SK hynix ssd or its just purely failing

i had 2 sk hynix that did the same thing heath was dropping fast ish as far as i am aware they never failed

heath lowering on a SSD does not mean its failing it's just a predicted heath that's all, it dropping is not actual proof it's failing (on a HDD if its below 100% it is can be a failing drive) the Critical warning and 2 error fields at the bottom have not logged any errors and used spare area have not changed

if you are using HDD sentinel just keep an eye on the spare area and error smart fields (right click anywhere in the smart page and change it to decimal option so it shows numbers not hex)

View attachment 335558
That power on count looks crazy high.
Also, my C:\ was doing this when I was having issues with windows update installation, but once I got things updated correctly it's now only going down 1% a month. I'd keep watching it and if it gets closer to 50% then I'd start worrying about replacing it.

You may have hit a bad RAM sector of the SSD or something like that. Cause your lifetime writes and reads are super low for that level of degradation.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Why don't you do a Secure Erase on it and reinstall the OS. That should reset the drive. Perhaps there's a rogue garbage collection happening. Also make sure Windows 10 is updated to version 20H2.

Back