SSD's and folding

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I was doing some reading through some old threads you guys got here, and I had read that ssd's are not the optimal choice to use with FAh due to the writes to the disk. The recommendation then was to create a ram drive to use.

Is there some truth in this or what is the case? If the ram drive is the best choice over the ssd, is there a guide out there on how to setup a ram drive? How much ram is required?

Creating a ramdisk is pretty easy, but depends on the kernel version and distro( too a point ). A 1GB ramdisk is more than enough to hold the data for 6904 WUs. If you do use a ramdisk, I would highly suggest to have a standard spin disk to periodically sync to in case of power loss. If the system has a battery backup supply, that is a mute point :)

If you're using those 16GB Samsung SSDs that are all over Fleabay for under $20 shipped, I would personally have no qualms abusing it until it died, then buying another. Actually have one in use right now on the 4p...

Yeah these are those 16gb ssd drives. I guess I like the idea of being worry-free on the boxes life.

Interesting. I have my FAH on the main SSD right now and think the SSD might be having issues because the config file for my FAH lost all its settings a few days ago. That might have been a fluke, but it might not have.

I'm thinking about getting a newer, faster SSD for my main drive and relegating the current one to secondary drive status.

I am using an SSD with my SR-2 without any issues.

I would be surprised if even 0.01% of folders are using a ramdrive. We normally don't recommend ssd's because they usually cost more and their additional read/write speeds aren't beneficial for F@H. With the cheap 16Gb ones out there, there is no reason to not use one now. I am in the process of switching over to them myself. My reasoning is that less moving parts is a good thing.

Back