SSD with the lowest power consumption

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking to get a SSD for my eventually arriving T420s. One thing that is very important to me (to an extreme extent) is battery life. I like to make cuts at every component possible to give me even that extra 5 minutes. So here is my question: for a person like me, what SSD should I get?

Some preliminary searching seems to suggest I would be best suited with a Corsair Force F60.

Why do manufacturer's specs for power consumption vary wildly from measured power consumption. For example, the Intel 320 300gb uses 650mW (as measured by AnandTech) when idle but Intel's spec says 100mW typical. Should I put more weight on what the manufacturer gives as the power consumption or on what reviewers say?

Just as a thought (and I understand you are extreme here) but these things tend to run significantly under 1w and do not vary "that" much anymore given the same number of NAND chips. Will you really notice 100mW difference?

Just as a thought (and I understand you are extreme here) but these things tend to run significantly under 1w and do not vary "that" much anymore given the same number of NAND chips. Will you really notice 100mW difference?

100mW? No. 2W? Yes. 2W is the difference between the Intel 510 250GB and a Corsair Force F40 on a 4KB random write (according to AnandTech).

Anad does some power consumption reading during his reviews(idle and various loads), and here is a link to the page with the latest results. You can then decide for yourself.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4316/ocz-vertex-3-240gb-review/9

Thanks for the link to their latest review.

Back