SSD with 9-pin SATA power: adapter options?

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a ~1.5" SSD from work (it's all legit, don't worry) that uses what appears to be a proprietary, 9-pin SATA power connector. Looking around e-bay, I see one option which is a $5 SATA/Molex to 7+9-pin drive connector. I'm wondering where this form factor comes from, and if there are other options for converting it to standard SATA power?

its 1.8" & yea its not hard to change This is what I used. I ordered 2 of them & they were here in like 3 days with standard shipping.

@bastage: aren't those cables used for Slimline optical drives?

The 1.8" SSDs draw 3.3V power instead of 5V for the 2,5" SSDs, as far as i know. This voltage is normally NOT present on the Molex/SATA power connector. The SATA connector from your power supply may include all voltage levels, including the 'optional' 3.3V; i believe color is orange.

So i would check the voltage really well. Also, MicroSATA is different from SlimLine SATA, i think.

@Industry: 9-pin? c'mon, couldn't they have kept it the same as other drives? :(

Cerulean: if my suspicions about different voltage (3.3V) are correct, it may very well make sense to go for a different connector; or it wouldn't get power on most SATA connectors that people use; which only supply 5.0V and 12.0V; where 12.0V remains unused by the SSD.

@bastage: aren't those cables used for Slimline optical drives?

The 1.8" SSDs draw 3.3V power instead of 5V for the 2,5" SSDs, as far as i know. This voltage is normally NOT present on the Molex/SATA power connector. The SATA connector from your power supply may include all voltage levels, including the 'optional' 3.3V; i believe color is orange.

So i would check the voltage really well. Also, MicroSATA is different from SlimLine SATA, i think.

I used a Pair of those on Intel x18m's.. So no that is for a 1.8" drive.. & Yea the sata lead from your PSU Must have the orange lead.

As for the slimline vs micro I am not 100% sure, but I think there the same. I have only done 1 slim optical drive & it was a while ago, so I cant remember if it was the same.

I'm quite certain there are different Slimline/Micro SATA connectors, including different voltages; it's a mess really getting the right cable for your optical sometimes! I knew i had to place second order just for those damn cables, because i initially ordered the wrong one. I believe it was Slinline <-> Micro-SATA difference; since i did check the voltage. I think the Voltage is important since it may not pass all voltages along but just one +5V OR +3.3V OR +12V and +0V (black), for example; just guessing here though!

Cerulean: if my suspicions about different voltage (3.3V) are correct, it may very well make sense to go for a different connector; or it wouldn't get power on most SATA connectors that people use; which only supply 5.0V and 12.0V; where 12.0V remains unused by the SSD.

Most power supplies these days do supply 3.3v on the SATA line. Older power supplies when SATA was newer often did not, and using adapters for Molex -> SATA do not.

Back