Ssd running slow on older x58 system

455olds

Gawd
I have a gigabyte x58ud5 and a Samsung evo 500gb ssd. Are speeds below what I should be getting and do my bios settings look ok? Should bottom "onboard sata/ide" be set to disabled?
I switched to AHCI without reinstalling windows a while back. I'll do a fresh installed if that's what I need to do.
I am plugged into the intel controller.
20200108_194139.jpg
20200108_194429.jpg

Is it older SATA? You won’t get the full bandwidth throughout of the SSD with older SATA.

Super weird that the board has no SATA3 ports. Depending on use, it may be worth investing in a PCI-e ssd adapter card. I used an Apricorn solo card that gave me full ssd speeds.

Super weird that the board has no SATA3 ports.

Not at all. SATA3 was introduced about halfway through the X58 lifecycle so first gen boards like the EX58's didn't have it, while the refreshes did via add-on controller chips, but even those had their teething issues.

If OP is going to get a PCIe 6Gbps SATA card, he might as well just get a PCIe to M.2 adapter card and use an NVMe SSD.

A lot of bioses aren't NVMe aware. I had a Samsung 950 Pro installed via M.2 adapter, but you're limited to PCIe 2.0 bandwidth. The 950 Pro works because it has a legacy ROM on the drive so it shows up in non-UEFI bioses.

I would like to get one of these from this thread https://hardforum.com/threads/3-2tb-ssd-for-240.1991865/
I read that I cant boot from that but it would still be nice to put games on. Better than the 2nd old mechanical drive I am using for storage now. It takes a while to spin up.
Ill research the other 2 adapters mentioned and probably go with something eventually.

As others have mentioned, it's the SATA2 limit. Specifically SATA2 is 3 Gbps with 8b/10b encoding, so 2.4 Gbps after encoding. Then there's ~10% of overhead which takes it to 2.16 Gbps or ~276 MB/s.

A lot of bioses aren't NVMe aware. I had a Samsung 950 Pro installed via M.2 adapter, but you're limited to PCIe 2.0 bandwidth. The 950 Pro works because it has a legacy ROM on the drive so it shows up in non-UEFI bioses.
in x58 almost certainly doesn't have nvme drivers in the bios, but like you said the 950 pro and the plextor m6pe/m8pe have legacy oproms that can boot older systems... I have an x58 at home with a hex core xeon OCd to 4.4GHz and a plextor m8pe, works great

Don't get a cheap SATA3 card. My X58 system has SATA3 through an added JMICRON chip, and it's worthless, the ICH is much better even if SATA2.

Back