SSD recommendation for 16 camera IP Nas storage? 860 PRO?

eddie500

Gawd
I want to upgrade my hard drives in my NAS for my IP camera storage.

I need 4TB of storage capacity.

I want to go SSD because the regular hard drives are slow when you want to watch recorded footage. I want to have very fast storage, and will be upgrading my NAS to a 10gbe new QNAP as I will be using a 10gbe throughout my house.

I was thinking about the Samsung 860 PRO hard drives, because they seem to have good endurance as I will mostly be writing to these hard drives.

my question is, will these be reliable and long lasting enough? or is using SSD drives a bad idea?

Do I need an enterprise drive, or is the 860 PRO good enough?

Is there a better alternative or maybe cheaper alternative as an 860 pro is overkill?

Thanks.

if i understand things correctly and its possible i do not, you will get 3-4 years out of your ssd drives

you can use a SSD for it but little unsure how long it would last (but i say at least 5 years but with Pro 860 it can do about 5x its rated warranty life (witch is 1200TBW on the 1TB ones) so you could get over 10 years or longer the more drives you have

it really depends on how much data is been written per day but it pro 860 seems it can do over 5PB of written data before they die, but as your going to use say 4 of them so 20PB of written data (assuming Samsung 860 PRO 1TB drives) i can see why not (seems tad overkill and expensive, with approx 150TB of recorded data written per year they could last long time (like over 10 years maybe)

you also have enterprise SSDs where they have like 0.3 to 1 full drive writes per day but seems overkill (don't know what your setup is and how much is been saved per day, bit rate or even if your using motion activation which greatly reduces writes)

but really you be better off with a HDD for CCTV (most CCTV systems i used seem to get by fine with a normal consumer HDD but they are individual basic china china cctv boxes)
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/cctv-surveillance/sata-iii-500gb-6tb-av
or other 24/7 HDDs like,as your storage system is a nas any way but the CCTV ones do have higher write endurance so the CCTV ones to possibly get
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-internal/sata-iii-1tb-8tb-nas

While ssds would be faster and more responsive, i never have had any slowness on my Blue Iris Server using a 4tb and now 6tb WD Purple, i think the throughput is more than enough to manage the recordings of surveillance and to be able to watch it and scroll in the timeline.

My guess is that its not the hdd the issue but the CPU on your nas, QNAP servers use low end hardware on them, and decoding and searching its not that easy for them, in my case the blue iris server is running an i7 4770K.

My suggestion is first determine for sure that its a hard drive issue before committing to ssds for surveillance. I would suggest to check qnap forums since you will find more experiences form users with the same hardware/software that you are using.

Another place that you might get better feedback about ssds for survaillance is ipcamtalk, where they mostly use blue iris, but there are tons of people that can give you advise into what they recommend for this purpose.

Back