SSD Pricing Q4 2020

mda

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I'm holding off buying a bunch of SSDs and maybe some RAM modules due to the supposed decline in RAM pricing this coming Q4.

I've noticed RAM pricing already coming down, but waiting to see if I'll actually need the kit before pulling the trigger.

I've not paid attention to historical SSD pricing - but has it come down already? How much lower is it projected to go, for those who are following prices?

Looking at some 2TB Crucial MX500s or 860 EVO SATA to power a whitebox homelab.

Thanks! :]

Im specifically looking to buy an 860 EVO 2TB myself, ive been watching prices for several months now and they havent changed too much recently. Before the roni hit prices seemed to be around 280 (for good pricing) up to about 320ish for the high end (minus outliers), now you can seemingly find them for around 260 - 280 regularly. The crucials were and still are cheaper, Ive been using am MX300 1TB for a few years now as a games drive and its still super fast, and was pretty cheap for its time. I dont know how much lower the floor on SSDs is going to go, on the 2 specific drives you mentioned (2 of the same ive been looking at) they havent really gotten lower in a couple months at least, and I think the 860's are overpriced for what they deliver, especially considering theyre several "generations" old now. Personally I say go with the MX500 unless you have a specific need for the 860 (already own one for RAID etc.), I think I need 4TB of game storage, so I still havent decided on if I want 2X2TB in RAID0 or one big 4TB drive.

Reactions: mda
like this
Are you looking to upgrade your SSD and memory? We could soon see their prices drop to a record low, primarily due to an oversupply of NAND- and DRAM-based products. According to a new report, prices will fall by about 10 percent throughout 2020 and will continue to decline during Q1 2021.
"Despite the traditional peak season for electronics sales and the release of Apple's new iPhones in 3Q20, the quarterly decline in NAND flash ASP [average selling price] will likely reach 10 percent, due to the client end's excess inventory under the impact of the pandemic," writes DRAMeXchange.

https://www.techspot.com/news/86413-ram-ssd-prices-soon-plummet-due-oversupply-weak.html#:~:text=We could soon see their,to decline during Q1 2021.

Reactions: mda
like this
Im specifically looking to buy an 860 EVO 2TB myself, ive been watching prices for several months now and they havent changed too much recently. Before the roni hit prices seemed to be around 280 (for good pricing) up to about 320ish for the high end (minus outliers), now you can seemingly find them for around 260 - 280 regularly. The crucials were and still are cheaper, Ive been using am MX300 1TB for a few years now as a games drive and its still super fast, and was pretty cheap for its time. I dont know how much lower the floor on SSDs is going to go, on the 2 specific drives you mentioned (2 of the same ive been looking at) they havent really gotten lower in a couple months at least, and I think the 860's are overpriced for what they deliver, especially considering theyre several "generations" old now. Personally I say go with the MX500 unless you have a specific need for the 860 (already own one for RAID etc.), I think I need 4TB of game storage, so I still havent decided on if I want 2X2TB in RAID0 or one big 4TB drive.

Samsungs are normally overpriced, but they arguably "deserve" it for having a good track record in the SSD space. The other manufacturers have been keeping pace or even catching up though, so at this point in time, I would say its price premium is now a little bit over the top.

Thanks for this info! Very helpful... Not sure if I can wait to Q1 2021 but we'll see.

It's expected to be down 10-15% in Q4 and 10% per quarter up to three quarters, e.g. 30% by the end of 1H 2021. However that can change rapidly.

I was tempted to pick up 2 x 16GB ddr4-3600 c16 for ~ $125+tax.....but I don't really need it and if prices are falling, might as well wait.

seems a bit cheap what kit is that
This. Use code EMCDRFG22 at checkout.

I think this ends tonight.

1600738786022.png

I bought two 1TB WD BLUE SSDs from Best Buy. They were 99$ each. So for 198$ plus tax I grabbed 2 TB of fast storage. They are sata drives with 3d nand. All in all not a bad price.

This is the local deals at my microcenter for 2tb ssds. Not too bad. https://www.microcenter.com/search/...ll&sortby=match&N=4294945779+668&myStore=true

Inland has a 2tb nvme drive for 189$ lower end on the specs but still a good deal.

Back