SSD/pci-e ssd and spinning sata

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I have a server as posted in another thread...

I have
2x wd black sata drives
2x ssd drives
and I just got a pci-e quad ssd m.2 card with 2x512 m.2's
**** PM951
**** PM961

so would this work as datastores? wondering if it is nice and fast as I can take my sata drives out removing spinning drives....

what would you do?

In general, yes. But you don't offer much detail as to what you're planning.

A datastore for what? Local to a VM host (e.g., ESXi, Proxmox)? Sitting in a FreeNAS or similar and served out via iSCSI/NFS/etc.?

Ya know i was thinking of that... sometimes i swear my ocd kicks in and i think you know what im thinking lol..

Ok so esxi 6.7 local storage datastore to replace 3 spinning disks.

I guess i need to see if this will be picked up and usable and then if it performs better than spinning drives.

Guess i was reaching out to see if anyone has tried one of these devices

Yes you can use it as a datastore. Any disk the esxi OS can pick up and format can be used as a datastore.

Yes it will perform better than the spinning disks. At least in disk IO. Hard to say if that will help whatever services you're running in those VMs

Yep, no problem as far as ESXi is concerned. It has had proper support for SSDs for quite a while now. Guest performance should benefit greatly, same as running a SSD in your desktop. Drawbacks are of course the same as what you'd have with a local HDD store (e.g., no RAID/mirroring support, transferring images between hosts kinda sucks, etc.).

Only possible gotcha I see is the m.2 expander card. Are you certain it's compatible with your mainboard? Most such boards are simple, without an integrated PCIe switch, and rely on the mainboard BIOS/UEFI to enable/config PCIe bifurcation and support multiple devices is a single slot.

Back