SSD or HDD in your main rig? POLL

SSD or HDD in primary computer?

• Only SSD(s)

Votes: 47 25.4%
  • Only HDD(s)

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • SSD and HDD mixed (includes SSHD drives)

Votes: 132 71.4%

• Total voters
Main rig is 512GB SSD for os and apps and some games, 4TB and 2TB Black drives for data and games, 3TB Toshiba for pron, lol

My server has a 250GB boot drive and a bunch of 2 and 4TB drives with no RAID. I've been moving data around for the past couple of days so that I can create a RAID 5 or 6 array with the 2TB drives.

currently looks like this,
intel-server-26tb.jpg

SSD only for a couple of years in 4 PCs. Laptop(300GB), 2 gaming PCs(500GB each) and a HTPC(500GB). Steam and streaming makes things easy, And of course not having to feel like you have to store half the internet at home or things you never going to use again.

120gb SSD and a 1TB HDD. OS and apps on the SSD, Steam library and VM's on the HDD.

Ran 4 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID-0 in my main rig for a bit. Two 2TB WDs in RAID-1 for local storage, then Crashplan for backups of everything. It was blazingly fast, and thankfully never had an issue with stability. Without having a full backup I probably wouldn't have run those 4 drives in a RAID-0 for boot & main apps though... =)

I run a 1TB SSD in my main machine and have a 12x3TB NAS for all my storage needs. Laptop has both an SSD and a HDD.

SSD in everything...I haven't had a spinning drive in a desktop/laptop since 2010.

I have a NAS that still has spinning drives in it and just picked up 12GB 4 x 3GB WD Red Drives for a great deal off Jet.com (less then $100 per drive, brand new!) for my new NAS I'll be getting in a couple months.

Spinners suck. I'm glad I got rid of all of them, and I'll never go back. I have a couple of 2TB drives I use externally once in a while to back everything up for long term shelf storage just in case, but for daily use all SSD's. I've been transitioning to all m.2 now so I don't have to deal with cables either.

Nothing is more annoying than opening windows explorer to get something off of an SSD and having to wait 45 seconds for the stupid spinner to get up to speed when I wasn't even going to access it anyways.

I use SSDs for boot and for games. If I have long term storage for stream audio or video, the old fat boys get used. Right now it is a complete waste of money to have that stuff on SSDs. SSDs are not the panacea for everything, especially anything travelling over a network.

Now, my next pet project may be to replace the HD in my PS4 with a SSD.

500GB M.2 SSD for OS/apps/games, 500GB SATA SSD for VMs and scratch space. Everything else is on the NAS.

SSD's are still cost prohibitive for non-OS space in the capacities that you would need. I like to have at least a 1TB secondary drive in my daily driver rig even with an 8tb NAS for downloading stuff from the web.

SSD's are still cost prohibitive for non-OS space in the capacities that you would need. I like to have at least a 1TB secondary drive in my daily driver rig even with an 8tb NAS for downloading stuff from the web.
Depends on if your equation of cost prohibition includes the variables of time and money.

I move a lot of data around in terms of 30MB RAW photos and 4K video... I don't have time to wait for slower HDDs. I need to organize/edit/develop content, and THEN I can deal with tossing it on a slow device like my NASs for archival storage.

All of my main work is done in flash because it saves me hours and hours of time.

-- Dave

sa,sung 850 pro as boot/windows/programs/games drive
2x velociraptor 300gb 10rpm HDD drive in raid 0 for data

sa,sung 850 pro as boot/windows/programs/games drive
2x velociraptor 300gb 10rpm HDD drive in raid 0 for data
Radi 0 for all that data that you don't want to keep after a power outage or unclean shutdown ;)

Radi 0 for all that data that you don't want to keep after a power outage or unclean shutdown ;)

actually you are pretty much nailed it :D
I don't have important data on my gaming rig it just more like "Scratch disk' work disk. but i keep it separate on not on my ssd cause its mostly CPU heavy generated data and i can reformat my SSD without lossing scratch data.
my data i care about is on my file server.
i might consider dumping the velociraptor, i just dont like generating gigs of data daily on my SSD though... i got write cycle paranoia :rolleyes:

actually you are pretty much nailed it :D
i might consider dumping the velociraptor, i just dont like generating gigs of data daily on my SSD though... i got write cycle paranoia :rolleyes:
I have a handful of Samsung 830s for writing data to... they will probably run forever under user workload.
For the stuff I'm really heavy on like swap and databases and my raw photo dump space, I have some used 1.2TB ioDrive 2s I grabbed on eBay for $500ea for that...no fear of heavy writes on those things...they will handle over 32PB of write workload just fine.

Back