SSD on PCI-e card limited to 2.5Gbps

Muvian

n00b
I just installed a OCZ Vertex 4 in my system using a Rosewill SATA III pci-e 2.0 1x card. I only have SATA II ports on my mobo (Intel DP55KG) as I thought it would be faster. 5Gbps on PCI-e vs 3Gbps on SATA II. The problem I'm having though is that the drive defaulted to 2.5Gbps the limit to PCI-e 1.0 1x. I have the drive set to AHCI and the firmware on the card and SSD are up to date as well as the BIOS.

You will have much better success using your motherboards Intel SATA2 controller than you will some no-name SATA3 add-in card, especially if you are using the SSD as your boot OS volume. Most of the time you will be using the SSD for Random IO, which in many cases will not even exceed SATA1 speeds, let alone SATA2. You will also be using (on recent processors) ports which come right off the PCH itself.

Last edited:
You will also be using ports which come right off the CPU itself.
song9-6.jpg
a103.jpg
song9-5.jpg
song9-4.jpg
song9-2.jpg
song9-3.jpg
song9-7.jpg

You will also be using (on recent processors) ports which come right off the CPU itself.

The SATA controller is in the chipset, not the CPU. Either way it's still better than SATA ports on a PCI-e card.

Sorry, meant to write PCH. Too little sleep and not enough coffee :D

PCH is what it's called now? That makes sense I guess. I still want to call it a northbridge, but it's been a while since either AMD or Intel made a board with that setup.

PCH is what it's called now? That makes sense I guess. I still want to call it a northbridge, but it's been a while since either AMD or Intel made a board with that setup.

Well, actually it would be the Southbridge. The PCH is the Platform Controller Hub in Intel terminology. The main features of the Northbridge (Memory Controller, Video Controller, etc.) as of the recent Intel and AMD processors are completely covered on-die now.

Back