SSD on a P55 motherboard

OK. So after all the hype, I'm looking at installing an SSD in my main rig. I'm currently using a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P. The board has two SATA III ports, however, it uses a Marvel chipset.

With that said, I was looking at the Kingston HyperX 120GB (based on the Hard review). I'm just curious if I will even see those speeds, or if a cheaper SSD would make more sense in this setup. And if so, which SSD models are recommended?

The most recommended SSD right now is the Crucial M4 - good balance of speed, reliability, and cost. Don't use the Marvell ports - they are notoriously sucky.

Well if I don't use the Marvell ports, I'll have to use SATA II ports. Which isn't a big deal, but then it isn't likely a big deal if I use the latest gen SSD's.

So I guess the question is three parts. First, are there any known issues when using the P55 BOARDS. Second, SATA III (Marvell) ports with which SSD's or Third, SATA II ports with which SSD's.

Well if I don't use the Marvell ports, I'll have to use SATA II ports. Which isn't a big deal, but then it isn't likely a big deal if I use the latest gen SSD's.

So I guess the question is three parts. First, are there any known issues when using the P55 BOARDS. Second, SATA III (Marvell) ports with which SSD's or Third, SATA II ports with which SSD's.

You really aren't leaving a whole lot of performance on the table by using SATA 3GB, as compared to SATA 6GB. The sequential speed isn't nearly as big an improvement for SSDs as the random speed - and SATA speed doesn't matter much for random reads/writes. Get the best SSD you can and use it on the Intel ports - then if you upgrade motherboards later you can use the SATA 6GB ports on it.

Back