SSD + nVidia 1080 + GSync + Bookshelf Speakers = Gaming Goodness

ZLoth

Gawd
So, I figured, after upgrading my UberBoxen... from the configuration there (in 2014), I had upgraded my primary hard drive to a 1TB SSD. I then upgrading my monitor from a 27" 1080p 60Hz to a 27" 2K GSync. Last July, the 980 card was replaced with a 1080 card. I thought I was at the end of the line for upgrades for a while.

Uh, no, but I'll get to that in a minute.

First off, the monitor upgrade. Adaptive sync monitors are worth the price premium for a nice steady picture. nVidia has GSync, while AMD has FreeSync. The biggest problem I have is the price premium and the smaller selection of G-Sync monitors in comparison to FreeSync monitors.

As for the video card... there was a nice improvement in the framerate at 2K resolution from the 980 card (which I had purchased in November, 2014, and was the best at the time) to the 1080 card. At this point, I think I made a good choice since the 2080 cards current carry a hefty price premium, and the 2070 cost more than the current 1080 cards for the same effective performance.

But, what blew me away was replacing my Cyber Acoustics CA-3602FFP speakers with some Edifier R2000DB speakers. I can see how audiophiles are created after this speaker upgrade. (Yes, I did consider the Edifier R1850DB speakers, but wanted some better specs). The only complaints about these speakers: The price premium (I was able to afford these only because of some Amazon gift certificates I had received), the remote (tiny and easy to lose), and the included optical cable (only about 4 feet, which is good for hooking up to a turntable or CD player, not as good for a computer).

And, at this point, I think I'm done. Even though I'm looking at that Intel i9-9900K processor, I'm having issues even finding a compelling reason to upgrade at this point from what I presently have. And, quite franky, I think I have a damn good setup now.

Your 4790k is still a great CPU. No need to change it. The i7 part of it really comes in handy for longevity. My 4690k is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth personally.

Well, you went from a 40 dollar set to a 250 dollar set. It's no wonder you're surprised at the difference? :p. I see no reason to replace my Audioengine A5+ either. Sound great, work great, no issues. At least your speakers have a remote! I'd count that as a plus, not a negative!

Sounds like a great setup. I just nabbed a Ryzen 2600 to replace my existing system to go with my 1070 at 1440p same as you, though my monitor is not G-Sync and only 60hz.

Keep on truckin!

Seems like a lot of us have been upgrading this month....

Sounds like you're enjoying it!!

I bet the GTX 1080/1440p-Gsync jump was AWESOME.

I see no reason to replace my Audioengine A5+ either.

Those aren't a bad pair of air movers that you have there. Those speakers were first offered for sale on Amazon in September, 2011, thus no Bluetooth.

At least your speakers have a remote! I'd count that as a plus, not a negative!

The problem isn't that there is a remote, but that the remote is so small and easy to loose. This has been a common complaint in the reviews.

I bet the GTX 1080/1440p-Gsync jump was AWESOME.

If you were to ask me whether audio or visual was the better jump, I would have to say video. It has annoyed me in the past when you had screen tearing during the game, and the adaptive sync technologies were well worth it. The audio improvement was secondary.

It's been almost 7 years since I upgraded to my good old 120 Hz TN monitor. Colours are horrible but it gets the job done. I've been waiting for the next big thing in monitors for a while. Right now my thinking is 2019 is supposed to be the year of variable refresh rates on TVs, so that's got to be good, right? Yes, I am a cheap bastard but I prefer my upgrades to be more meaningful.

Good speakers are just, so satisfying. Especially with how many gamers are playing with cheap, plastic ones. When I moved to my Swan M200MKIIIs I was blown away.

Gaming audio is one of those things that's easy to neglect, but is a game changer when done well. I started running my PC setup through an A/V receiver (+ a 7.1 set of Polk speakers I bought for 75% off when Circuit City closed) and can't go back.

Those aren't a bad pair of air movers that you have there. Those speakers were first offered for sale on Amazon in September, 2011, thus no Bluetooth.

The problem isn't that there is a remote, but that the remote is so small and easy to loose. This has been a common complaint in the reviews.

If you were to ask me whether audio or visual was the better jump, I would have to say video. It has annoyed me in the past when you had screen tearing during the game, and the adaptive sync technologies were well worth it. The audio improvement was secondary.

I ditched my adaptive sync completely and went straight 240hz with none of that on for my games. Using rather high end audio though and it's like having a wallhack.

Sweet setup OP, only thing missing is a sub. I use an old Onkyo receiver with my PC and a pair of Sony Cores. With a sub below the desk and the room rumbling from explosions you can't beat it.

Sweet setup OP, only thing missing is a sub. I use an old Onkyo receiver with my PC and a pair of Sony Cores. With a sub below the desk and the room rumbling from explosions you can't beat it.

If you look in the back, you can see what I think is the subwoofers. Great low-frequency reproduction, although the room doesn't rumble.

If you look in the back, you can see what I think is the subwoofers. Great low-frequency reproduction, although the room doesn't rumble.
Yeah I'm sure it's not bad. But you want regret a true sub.

As someone who had a Wharfdale SW150 sub paired with my A5+ and D1 DAC, I find the A5+ to be adequate without a sub. Granted, I also dropped the sub because I moved into apartment/unit living, so having the sub was kinda pointless as I had it turned down a fair bit to not annoy neighbours.

I miss the boom, but it's honestly fine without it! And at night I have my Shure SRH1840s!

Back