SSD in PBG4 12

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Think it's worth putting say a 32GB SSD in a Powerbook G4 12"? They run around $135 on eBay, and I was just wondering if it would make a difference (other than possibly in resale value).

Love the PBG4 12"...wish Apple made a real replacement for it.

I believe the 12" PB G4 used an IDE hard drive. I don't think you'll be able to find a SSD to fit this machine.

You could definatley find a PATA ssd to fit inside of it. Do I think it would be worth it? Not a chance. The G4's are anemic by todays standards. Even the basic Mac minis would run circles around the Dual G5's. No reason to dump that much money into dead technology.

Love the PBG4 12"...wish Apple made a real replacement for it.
They do, unless one extra inch is just way too much for you

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB990LL/A?mco=MTM3NDczMDY

You could definatley find a PATA ssd to fit inside of it. Do I think it would be worth it? Not a chance. The G4's are anemic by todays standards. Even the basic Mac minis would run circles around the Dual G5's. No reason to dump that much money into dead technology.

They do, unless one extra inch is just way too much for you

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB990LL/A?mco=MTM3NDczMDY

Completely shocked to see that PATA drives made the jump to SSD. I agree with your thoughts on price/performance. The 12" Powerbook was a slick machine, but it's old.

^^^ It's not the same. The keyboard is better and I just like a 4:3 screen for working on documents and browsing the web. Perfect size.

I had a MBP 13" and just didn't like it as much (other than the trackpad).

The 13" MB(P) runs at 1280x800, so you're actually gaining 32px vertically. So I don't see how it's weird or impossible to size your browser or document window in a "4:3-style" fashion on one. Hell of a lot cheaper than a PowerBook, too.

The latest-gen trackpads are so much better than the PPC's it's not even funny. I cant stand using PC laptops anymore because of their appalling trackpads.

I can, however, understand nostalgia for a form factor that you had good times with. From a business perspective, however, it makes no sense to make a 12" notebook and a 13". Not to mention that all the PowerPC notebooks are horrible to work on (compared to MacBooks, anyway).

I use a 32GB PATA SSD in my G4 iBook. I run Debian on it and use it primarily for porting packages to ARM. Works great for me, and the total cost was just over 250 with the RAM upgrade and the SSD. Cheaper, easier, and still faster than a netbook that could be comparable.

Back