SSD - I can't tell the difference.

outspoken

Limp Gawd
So I just got my first SSD drive, Corsair Nova 32GB. Installed it and loaded Win7 Ultimate x64.

Just doing my normal everyday web browsing, file copying, etc and I don't see the difference between it and my WD 640. Certainly the benchmarks show it to be loads faster, but where will I see the real world difference and be stunned?

Opening programs, loading games, boot speed, copying files from your SSD to anything else, everything should be much smoother and less prone to "hiccups" as you might see with mechanical drives, and faster in most cases. If you don't do anything to strain a mechanical drive, you might not really notice any difference, but if you pay attention to say how long your browser takes to open up from the time you click the icon, or if you compare load times in your video games, or notice any loss of "hiccups" when textures or files need to be loaded from your hard drive, you're likely to see why SSDs are so popular.

ok, i just noticed the first serious improvement with SSD.

I have verizon fios w/25Mbit and never really paid much attention that I was getting 1.8MB/s, just figured it was the source connection or something else. Now I am getting a consistent 2.8MB/s which is close to the theoretical max of the connection.

Well worth it for that alone. I had no idea my hard drive was holding transfers back that much.

ok, i just noticed the first serious improvement with SSD.

I have verizon fios w/25Mbit and never really paid much attention that I was getting 1.8MB/s, just figured it was the source connection or something else. Now I am getting a consistent 2.8MB/s which is close to the theoretical max of the connection.

Well worth it for that alone. I had no idea my hard drive was holding transfers back that much.

Huh? What would an SSD have to do with your internet speed?

I suppose if the hard drive had been thrashing severely before (swapping constantly and maybe heavily fragmented) that it could have been unable to keep up with your download, but this would involve some other things being (very) wrong not just the fact that your drive wasn't an SSD. I'm guessing this increase in speed has more to do with your Windows install being fresh than with your choice of drive.

Dustin

I'm guessing this increase in speed has more to do with your Windows install being fresh than with your choice of drive.

Dustin

agreed. was thinking this right after i posted, was too excited to think rationally.

I also just finished following this OCZ Win7 tweak guide - http://bit.ly/adUcky and it brought my windows installation down to 11GB, originally was 25GB.

Back