SSD Hybrid Performance vs cost Savings?

Dekoth-E-

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...148591&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-22-148-591-_-Product

I stumbled across this and it caught my attention. One of the primary things holding me back from jumping on the SSD bandwagon has been cost for capacity. I am not a huge fan of having a speed primary drive and a secondary storage drive. I overwhelmingly prefer to have 1 drive that is both speed and capacity. If something fails, well that is what I have a network storage drive for. Anyhow As mentioned I like the SSD performance, but I just can't swallow the price for the capacity I need. Anything under 500gb is just simply too small for my application.

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these seagate hybrids. I am really interested in if the performance step up for them is that significant from 7200rpm. Optimally I would like to know how they compare against 10krpm raptor drives as well. Perhaps this would make for some interesting HardOCP review material? The price on these is really about perfect if they perform as advertised. A couple of these in a raid 0 seem to offer some serious potential for very little out of pocket.

edit: before anyones asks if I read the reviews, the answer is yes. However I take newegg reviews with a huge grain of salt as honestly most people who post tend to praise a product or slam a product for some of the most asinine reasons.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...148591&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-22-148-591-_-Product

I stumbled across this and it caught my attention. One of the primary things holding me back from jumping on the SSD bandwagon has been cost for capacity. I am not a huge fan of having a speed primary drive and a secondary storage drive. I overwhelmingly prefer to have 1 drive that is both speed and capacity. If something fails, well that is what I have a network storage drive for. Anyhow As mentioned I like the SSD performance, but I just can't swallow the price for the capacity I need. Anything under 500gb is just simply too small for my application.

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these seagate hybrids. I am really interested in if the performance step up for them is that significant from 7200rpm. Optimally I would like to know how they compare against 10krpm raptor drives as well. Perhaps this would make for some interesting HardOCP review material? The price on these is really about perfect if they perform as advertised. A couple of these in a raid 0 seem to offer some serious potential for very little out of pocket.

The Seagate drives are a pretty good compromise. I had someone at work get one and it works better than I would have expected.

With that being said, if you already have network storage, I would personally just get a decent size SSD and use network storage for holding media files.

If you are looking for a Raptor v. Seagate hybrid review, Anandtech did a piece on this awhile ago.

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of the Anandtech review as I only rarely check them. That said, I am still interested to see more [H] forum goers perspective on something like this.

For clarity, the network storage is for backup. Operating off it is not a reasonable option for me. It is just there as a failsafe in the even that my drive goes out. Also I run a good number of large install size programs (gamer) where they average 15-20gb of install size. I can eat up a 250gb drive just with installed programs without blinking. As those SSDs are still in the $500+ range, you can quickly see that is just not an option for me.

The Momentus XT drives are supposedly similar to Velociraptors. In the last month I've built or repaired desktops with a 500gb single platter 7200rpm drive, older 150gb Raptor, and 300gb Velociraptor. They all felt painful to deal with compared to SSDs.

Back