SSD for ZIL

dev_null

n00b
Hello!
I've been a long time lurker for quite a while now, but am undertaking a larger-scale build (at least for me) and had a few questions, so I figure now would be a good time to post :). I am building a 36TB (12*3) Supermicro server that I will be running freeBSD on. I have read multiple times that offloading the ZIL to a dedicated SSD can yield performance benefits and was thus looking for recommendations on SSDs that would work well for that purpose. I read that SLC SSDs are better suited for that as they can withstand the pummeling of writes necessary, but can't find anything that performs decently at a good price. I have read MLC SSDs will wear down faster, but they seem to have better performance for the dollar. I found this one on newegg, but it seems rather slow compared to the MLC SSDs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167116
Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!

The Intel DC3700 has a minimum size of 100GB. It is an MLC drive with high endurance.

The Intel 520 series is also well rated adn performs very well.

Also, both the above have a SATA3 interface as opposed to the SATA2 of the one you linked.

The most important factor is capacitors for your ZIL. Please search the forum about it, you'll find many posts (by me and others).

That DC S3700 might be a good option (I haven't tested one I got yet). Most MLC is actually fine at this point if you under-provision it, unless you plan to write obscene amounts of data to the box.

Also make sure you need it... will you be doing lots of sync writes?

From my understanding with respect to the 520 series, they have zero cache and therefore no need to worry about a capacitor.

Back