SSD for video captures?

GutBuster

n00b
Would I see any performance difference in writing video captures directly to an SSD over a HDD? Would this help by keeping the activity off the OS SSD?

Should I designate an SSD for that and photoshop scratch disks?

What kind of video are you capturing? If you are doing 4k/8k uncompressed then sure, the SSD will be better. If you are doing precompressed 1080p it won't make any difference.

To my knowledge it isn't recommended to use an SSD as a video recording media, because after repeated and longer recordings their write speed starts to plummet.
After the second or third run the sustained/sequential write speed could be lower than a HDD's... and not to mention that this type of usage decreases its lifespan. :(

I'm not sure there is truth to this... I've had lots of SSD's that i've put petabytes of writes onto without issue, we still have good read and write speeds. My roomate just bought a red camera that comes with a 64 GB solid state disk drive to record the video on, and it apparently will do 4k resolution (which is very high)

I'd like to think you definitely could use SLC flash SSD's at a very expensive premium.

To my knowledge it isn't recommended to use an SSD as a video recording media, because after repeated and longer recordings their write speed starts to plummet.
After the second or third run the sustained/sequential write speed could be lower than a HDD's... and not to mention that this type of usage decreases its lifespan. :(

TLC nand, maybe. On that note see http://www.anandtech.com/show/2614/4 for a quick table of differences even in the same type of nand. 100 GB/day for 5 years seems like a good deal to me. My recommendation is SLC or a high quality MLC drive such as the Intel drive reviewed in the above link.

Back