SSD for music server durabilty questions

nakedhand

2[H]4U
Is it safe to say that MLC is the smarter option in terms of durability compared to TLC, when employed as a music storage drive with mostly read activity? Or does it not really matter since the wear on the cells are less significant when there are only occurring a minimum of writes?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the read/write ratio would be in the order of, on a Windows 7 64bit system running a music storage disk only used for playback, once filled up? (Pagefile is not placed on this drive. I have no idea how much indirect or background write activity is done on non system drives in Win 7).

Modern SSDs are so durable and cheap it has become a non-issue for anyone except enterprise looking for massive bandwidth cache servers.

In the setup you describe it's likely the drive will easily last a few decades.

Won't matter when you're not overwriting the entire disk on a daily basis.

Modern SSDs are so durable and cheap it has become a non-issue for anyone except enterprise looking for massive bandwidth cache servers.

In the setup you describe it's likely the drive will easily last a few decades.

Won't matter when you're not overwriting the entire disk on a daily basis.

Good to hear that SSDs are getting extremely durable.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the read/write ratio would be in the order of, on a Windows 7 64bit system running a music storage disk only used for playback, once filled up? (Pagefile is not placed on this drive. I have no idea how much indirect or background write activity is done on non system drives in Win 7).

Reat/write ratio: Something approaching infinity. Why would there be any background write activity on a drive storing files that are essentially read-only?

Anyway... durability of the SSD should be the last thing you worry about. Back it up, keep your backups updated, and it really doesn't matter. For a media library, this should be particularly quick and easy, since the files seldom change.

I have been using SSD's for dedicated music storage for several years now and love it. The best part about it is not having delays when first playing as well as skipping songs.

The only thing that really matters in this application is the response time which is great for all SSD's. The actual transfer speed is inconsequential as streaming music is less then 1MB/s.

I used my first SSD for a while which got down to 35MB/s read speeds after a couple years of usage (no TRIM) and it worked fine for music.

Back