SSD for MBP

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a non retina SB i7 13.3 MBP with a crucial m4 512 gig hard drive with 200-220 gigs available.

My wife's computer is a C2D 13.3 MBP with a 500 gig platter drive.

We are happy with our computers and believe we can get 2 more years or 2 more cycles out of them. We also think the platter drive is getting squirmy and may need replacing. Great time to get a SSD for nice speed bump and replace a potentially iffy drive.

I can replace the drive in the i7 and move the m4 to the C2D if there is a much better drive now. Or I can save some bucks and try to find a SATA2/3 for the C2D on the forums. Either way I'm looking at both computers having an SSD of 480gigs or more.

I'm not interested in replacing it with another platter drive.

Recommendations?

Edit. I have a WTB thread in case something juicy is offered. By no means am I asking a question after I made up my mind. I value the input.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nothing you'd notice outside of benchmarks. Well in my opinion anyway.

That is my assessment as well, unless you plan to do a huge amount of writes to the drive. The Evo is a better deal.

Thanks all. Cloned my drive to the Evo, and swapped it. Turns out I had an ocz in there. Who knew?

Well, cloned the platter drive to the ocz and the performance increase is quite substantial ( platter to ocz, not necessarily ocz to evo).

I guess I had the crucial m4 in my desktop. Nope, it's a evo 830 250gig. No idea why I thought I had a crucial m4.

My friend chose an Intel 530 series.

Very nice SSD. Works very good in MBP.

Back