Asrock Z87 Extreme4 matx
new 256 primary SSD
(use the ocz 120 for recording)

need: record games with fraps at 1080p 60fps

playback i have noticed:
recording 1080p 30fps to the same, primary sdd = smooth
recording 1080p 60fps to the same, primary sdd = less smooth
recording 1080p 60fps to the secondary hdd = horrible

i have tested my current OCZ drive, and as ssd benchmark says my seq write is 112mb/s ._.

seems rather slow... would this speed improve on sata III? also, is it fast enough for writing at 1080p 60fps, or will i need a faster drive to record to??

the primary ssd i was looking at getting is the Toshiba 256gb (19nm mlc nand)

If you wipe that OCZ it might get close to its original speed. It would also benefit from Sata 3, but not a whole lot.

Just pick up Dxtory that would be the recorder needed for utilizing read/write speeds on an SSD

I think more cores helps with this too. I remember a fairly popular video talking about AMD vs Intel while streaming and gaming, and AMD's (more cores) helped keep smoother frame-rates. Will try and find video

Edit; Video;

ok guys.. actually capturing the 60fps video, whether to the sdd, or hdd, yields smooth as silk uncompressed video. but when compressing to 60fps wmv, its FAR choppier than 30... its as if the game is running at 10fps

is this a cpu problem??

also, mp4 vs wmv.. wmv looks more like the original recording, whereas the mp4 codec adds a lot of contrast... how do i remove this.. it looks horrible

Last edited:
It's your compression software.

ANY compression is going to reduce image quality.

I'd use handbrake and use some custom high quality compression settings

Back