SSD: Crucial M500 240GB $130; PNY XLR8 120GB $69 AR

Crucial M500 240GB unless money is extremely tight. Crucial has an enviable reputation, works well even as it fills up, and the space you expect to need grows. Increasing size after the fact means raid or repurposing the original.
PNY XLR8 makes a lot of claims but remains middle of the road. Possibly because of smaller sample base, it has slightly worrying reputation.
Likely either would be fine. Read the reviews. See Sean's SSD thread under HDD on overclock.net.

Last edited:
Yea I think the m500 is probably the best budget drive overall (better than the evo 840). Best here does not mean fastest; but combination of reliability/speed for a given cost per GB. My thought is right now the sandsik exterme 2 is the best premium dirve for the price 0.70/GB (pro 840 is very similar but more expensive @ 0.82/GB) and the s3700 is probably the best drive on the market (today) but is close to $2 per GB. The intel 530 is a step above the m500 and a step below the exterme 2 (I think). No clue about hte PNY drive; the seagate 600 drive scares me (though it might be fine and dandy).
-
I'm really tempted to try an s3700 but can't bring myself to spend $500 for a 200GB drive.

Amazon has it for the same price, and I know a lot more people have prime than premium, so probably save that $3 on shipping.

m500 has pretty high power consumption. compared to samsung evo, anyway.

Yea I think the m500 is probably the best budget drive overall (better than the evo 840). Best here does not mean fastest; but combination of reliability/speed for a given cost per GB. My thought is right now the sandsik exterme 2 is the best premium dirve for the price 0.70/GB (pro 840 is very similar but more expensive @ 0.82/GB) and the s3700 is probably the best drive on the market (today) but is close to $2 per GB. The intel 530 is a step above the m500 and a step below the exterme 2 (I think). No clue about hte PNY drive; the seagate 600 drive scares me (though it might be fine and dandy).
-
I'm really tempted to try an s3700 but can't bring myself to spend $500 for a 200GB drive.

In your estimation what puts the M500 above the EVO? It seemed to me that the EVO had pushed ahead in overall terms.

the m500 is down to $124.99 at both newegg and amazon. Great price especially for those without tax.

You can get the 120GB Crucial M500 for $49 AR at the egg.

Here, that's one of those things where you have to sign up for Total Defense, then cancel before they charge you. Make sure you don't mind doing that before you go that route.

Here, that's one of those things where you have to sign up for Total Defense, then cancel before they charge you. Make sure you don't mind doing that before you go that route.

Friends don't let friemds sign up for Total Defraud

Just dont. Please.

i purchased my crucial M500 at newegg last week for $124.99 shipped. its a fantastic drive for the money.

My AS SSD results
Untitled_zpsbe65c31c.png

i purchased my crucial M500 at newegg last week for $124.99 shipped. its a fantastic drive for the money.

My AS SSD results
Untitled_zpsbe65c31c.png

Not bad, at all..My "dirty" (several MB swaps etc on my Win 7 install) Sammy 830 comes in around ~800ish (just the score I remember off the top of my head)..

Back