Squidguard performance

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys.

I'm trying to plan a system for content filtering for my former grade school. I was using a program called willow (http://www.digitallumber.com) but was extremely and overly memory and CPU intensive. I will have about 60 computers on it at the most and likely less than 20 on the internet at one time, perhaps 40 on total peaks which would be rare.

Is squidguard a memory/cpu intensive program? I have a Duron 600 that came out of the scrap heap so I figured I could get a Asus A7N266-VM motherboard cheap and put 1GB of DDR in it since DDR is so cheap right now. From what I hear it is more memory intensive than CPU. I won't be using a GUI on the box and likely it will be CentOS or Gentoo.

I figured making a ramdisk for the cache also to make it extra quick. I kind of assume that in cases like this it is more clock speed and memory limiting and not L2 so a duron would likely run as fast as an Athlon of similar clock speed.

Comments? Recommendations?

are you running just squid or squid plus dansguardian? i run squid + dansguardian + FW on a dual 2ghz xeon with 2GB of ram and mirrored 10K rpm scsi drives. i can notice slow downs in the internet at times, and i'm only supporting 30 people. however, they are all on the internet at all times, and there is a lot of email traffic going through the firewall.

i think the main point of slowdowns is actually just dansguardian. but the slowdowns are not entirely terrible anyway. you can just notice it's not as snappy as it should be. the only time it's intolerably slow is when someone send an email blast out that consumes all of our bandwidth for about 30 minutes. i just implemented bandwidth limiting which should fix that.

squid and squidguard which I believe is something different than dans guardian. The clients are Mac OSX 10.2 now, maybe 10.4 this next year and Windows 2000 on a tightly guarded domain so I'm not too worried about viruses. I may have clam-av or something on the email server soon.

Squid + Squidguard on a P4-3ghz xeon w/ 2GB ram. I use Squid/Squidguard mainly for filtering/blocking certain content rather than caching content. I notice no slowdowns while support 200 users.

Yeah. I don't plan on getting more than 20 or so web pages at a time, if it were more than that, it would be rare. Since it is a grade school they are going to be getting many of the same pages so I might put a 128-192mb cache stored on a ramdisk for ultra fast performance.

Back