Squid Proxy

3one5

Gawd
I had a squid proxy setup so that I could funnel all my web traffic at work through an SSH tunnel to the house. Well tonight I found my 7 and 8 year old looking at something on youtube that I would rather them not. So it looks as if I'll have to put the proxy into full duty. I knew this would come eventually, but I want to make sure I approach it properly and carefully. I don't want to be overbearing on the kids.

So those of you with kids, how do you handle this sort of thing?

my sisters kids have gotten to the age where they are curious about stuff, so i set them up with an opendns account and used their free category/whitelist/blacklist service. it works well, no box to leave on 24/7, no software to install on the pc's, is centrally manageable through the online console and i think they even have a basic reporting function included too.

+1 for OpenDNS, although this won't help with your Youtube issue, unless you remove access to the site entirely.

no kids here but I would highly recommend OpenDNS as well. Less to manage and dead simple to setup.

You're safe for another few years until they figure out how to google "change dns servers".

no kids here but I would highly recommend OpenDNS as well. Less to manage and dead simple to setup.

You're safe for another few years until they figure out how to google "change dns servers".

that's easy too deal with. just setup a rule in your firewall too only allow a specific dns server. if the pc has the wrong one than they can't browse the web at all.

There are many ways to do it and to lock down the PC's so DNS, proxy and such cannot be changed. Lots of ways to lock down the use of software proxy's, VPN tunnels, SSH tunnels, etc.

I have a ESXi server up 24/7 running various OS's including a linux server that I use as a firewall with iptables. So running the proxy on my own isn't an issue at all. I was curious how others approached the issue. I'm curious about those who have teens that have pushed against it.

I'm a System/Network Admin so I think I can keep one up on the kiddies :)

OpenDNS is a great way to add content filtering for free to your network. As well as added security since OpenDNS filters out a constantly updated list of known malware sites.

Astaro has a product that's free for home users, it has very robust content filtering and very detailed reporting...you might want to give that a shot.

Back