Squeezing more space from a 160 GB Western Digital

Axsuul

Limp Gawd
Hello, I own a Western Digital 160GB Hard drive but I am only able to squeeze 127GB out from the partitions. Anyone know how to squeeze out more juice? Thank you for your time.

You can't "squeeze more juice out of it."

The difference between the number on the box and the amount of space that is available to you can be attributed to two things. One, the harddrive manufacturers define a gigabyte in base 10 numbers, computers can only use base 2. The drive only has a certain amount of physical space, binary gigabytes are larger so you end up with less space. Also, there is some overhead for the file system, so that takes up some more space.

If it is the drive that has your os on it, windows will reserve space for system files.

On top of that, your operating system doesn't recogize hard drives larger than 127 gigs (or didn't when you formatted the volume.) If you don't have sp2, then you should install it. If you do, then you need to extend the partition to cover the new space. I'm not sure if windows disk managment can add space to an already existing partition, but if you find a demo of partition magic, or a freeware disk managment program it should be able to do it for you.

But bear in mind that you will never get 160 gb out of that harddrive.

I had a guy flip out at me on ebay because I was ripping him off. I sold him a 160GB drive and he could only get 127GB out of it. LOL. I told him to install SP2 and google it....he apologized.

Just install SP2 and you will be fine.....if not, get a larger drive.

Back