Squealing noise coming from New Titan card

Island

Gawd
Sup fellas. I need some help here. Just got my New Titan from New Egg and I am building a new rig and getting another one for sli, but I decided to try out the new card in my current system.

I removed the old 580's after uninstalling. Did a clean install with the newest drivers, and have been playing some games. It's weird though, as I have my side panel off, and I noticed that running the new 3dmark, I have noticed this sound coming from the card. When the benchmark loads all I hear is the fans but as soon as the benchmark starts, I hear this squeal or whine, although it's very faint.

It does not happen all the time as I am watching the fire strike benchmark and I cannot hear anything, but on others I could hear it. I don't think it's a bad cap or anything like that, as the card seems to be running rock solid. I wonder if I should contact EVGA? any thoughts on what it could be? Coincidently, my SoundBlaster xfi is right below it in the pci-e 1x slot....Don't know if that could be causing an issue, but I don't remember hearing this with my 580's

EDIT-Seems as though the noise is mainly when I run the ice storm benchmark, and if I pause it, the noise stops, and upon resume, it starts again...wierd

Last edited:
Sounds like you got coil whine.

Not much you can do about it, as it happens with some high-end cards that draw a lot of power and at load. Some will tell you that it's normal and to just live with it, while others will tell you that they silenced it with nail polish or hot glue.

Personally, I have never put up with coil whine, replacing, returning or getting rid of the cards outright. EVGA might be good about RMAing for coil whine; why don't you ask a rep?

RMA on these cards will be a long wait. If the performance outweighs the noise, just deal with it. Sometimes it corrects itself after being stressed over time.
My PSU had an electrical whine out of the box, and after a week it's was gone.

My 7970 had awful coil whine at first, but after a few 5 hour gaming run it went away.

Stress it for a bit before RMAing it, might correct itself.

Mine is whining as well. In games i cap my fps at 90 and i can't hear it. Only after around 110 is it audible.

It takes two to make coil whine. The video card needs to interact with another device, usually the PSU or motherboard, to create coil whine. The normal best solution here, considering the possible difficulty of an RMA on this particular video card, would be to try using a different PSU and/or motherboard.

However, you could quite possibly not experience the coil whine at all in your new rig. So, I would not do any RMAing over this until you've got your new rig together and see what happens then.

It takes two to make coil whine. The video card needs to interact with another device, usually the PSU or motherboard, to create coil whine. The normal best solution here, considering the possible difficulty of an RMA on this particular video card, would be to try using a different PSU and/or motherboard.

However, you could quite possibly not experience the coil whine at all in your new rig. So, I would not do any RMAing over this until you've got your new rig together and see what happens then.

I'm my experience this hasn't been true. If a card whines its going to whine on other PSU's as well. My GTX 285 was the first card I had that whined. Tried in on two other systems and bought a new PSU. It didn't change anything. Only thing that stopped it was v-sync or a frame limiter.

Linus Tech tips had a coil whine on their titan and switched out their PSU and it stopped. They mention that in one of their reviews.

A psu is easier to replace then a Titan RMA.

Mine whines a little but only during benchmarks that have no sound can I hear it. I think it stands out a little more because the Titan is so quiet.

I personally would not worry about it unless you can hear it during normal use. Besides you have a three year warranty so it would be better to let supply build up before RMA.

How are you likeing the card? Mine is twice as fast as the GTX 580 it replaced. I've been very impressed with mine.

Mine chirps a couple times in Valley benchmark, but I haven't noticed anything when gaming.

Mine whines a little but only during benchmarks that have no sound can I hear it. I think it stands out a little more because the Titan is so quiet.

I personally would not worry about it unless you can hear it during normal use. Besides you have a three year warranty so it would be better to let supply build up before RMA.

How are you likeing the card? Mine is twice as fast as the GTX 580 it replaced. I've been very impressed with mine.

Thanks for the reply fellas...Ya mine sees to only whine during the ice benchmark in the new 3dmark demo. I do not hear it playing games. The card is pretty badass and blows my 580gtx sli cards away. I can really tell the difference in newer games. Cranking up the settings in games like FC3, Hitman and the like with AA enabled, I am able to maintain a nice playable fps.

I cannot wait for my 2nd card to try SLI. I did however load up Dayz after updating it(Haven't played in forever) Setting all the lod/AA and settings to the highest did hit my Titan in the balls though..hehe Frames dropped down to 20's when I enabled all settings, but that is playing at 2560x1600 on my Dell...Perhaps with the 2nd Titan, the fps will be a lot better...We shall see

Thanks for the reply fellas...Ya mine sees to only whine during the ice benchmark in the new 3dmark demo. I do not hear it playing games. The card is pretty badass and blows my 580gtx sli cards away. I can really tell the difference in newer games. Cranking up the settings in games like FC3, Hitman and the like with AA enabled, I am able to maintain a nice playable fps.

I cannot wait for my 2nd card to try SLI. I did however load up Dayz after updating it(Haven't played in forever) Setting all the lod/AA and settings to the highest did hit my Titan in the balls though..hehe Frames dropped down to 20's when I enabled all settings, but that is playing at 2560x1600 on my Dell...Perhaps with the 2nd Titan, the fps will be a lot better...We shall see

Glad to hear you like it.

RMA on these cards will be a long wait. If the performance outweighs the noise, just deal with it. Sometimes it corrects itself after being stressed over time.

I've had cards with coil whine and I could not ever tolerate it. I know I would RMA , that sound drives me nuts.

For 1000 dollars you should be 100% satisfied with your purchase.

Newegg or the vendor should make it right, period.

These cards especially, ought to be perfect.:mad:

I had two first release GTX 670s that did the same thing.....I kept sending them back until I got a pair that were silent.
Fortunately my problem was with a card that was readily available.

silverstone PSU's have a resistor inline for pcie connectors to eliminate that, i havent noticed it at all on my 680 after switching to the silverstone psu

Thanks for the reply fellas...Ya mine sees to only whine during the ice benchmark in the new 3dmark demo. I do not hear it playing games.

For What it's worth this 100% the same scenario i'm having. Only whines during 3DMark at this point. Otherwise it's fine.

Lol telling someone to just ignore a annoying problem on a $1k GPU.... :eek::rolleyes:

There are cards that whine, and then there are card+psu combos that whine, right?

Mine whines a bit under very under light loads only, never heard it during gaming or benchmarking, or during web browsing. It does seem to be going away slowly as I use it. Although I'm not sure if it is a PSU/card whine as I don't have a spare PSU laying around, it would sure drive me crazy if it was doing it all the time during gaming.

All my cards whine to some degree.

XFX 7970. Asus DC2 7970, MSI TF3 7950, MSI TF4 GTX 660TI.

The nvidia one whines the loudest.

Changing from Corsair TX 750 to Seasonic X-750 didn't do anything.

I've never had a card that didn't coil whine in 3Dmark11 or make some kind of hissing noise. Other areas I hear it a lot are the WEI and the exit screen of Heaven bench (the one after you quit). I have only had one of those cards out of 50+ whine during games though, and it was a GTS450 that I had cranked to 975mhz.

We had an Asus branded Titan here that had significant coil whine while running furmark and other benchmarks and games. We sent it back.

For $1000 these over priced cards should be perfect.

Currently testing a EVGA branded Titan here and this one does whine a bit now and then mainly at high framerates. Though it seems to be settling down with more use. After a few weeks and burn in it may and should quiet down completely. If not it goes back.

Some seem defective, if you read around the web there are reports of Titans and coil whine.

Some guy on overclockers.co.uk and oc3d.net put up a youtube video

http://www.processvue.com/private/Titan.wav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWH0R66ezY

Last edited:
All my cards whine to some degree.

XFX 7970. Asus DC2 7970, MSI TF3 7950, MSI TF4 GTX 660TI.

The nvidia one whines the loudest.

Changing from Corsair TX 750 to Seasonic X-750 didn't do anything.

I'm surprised the Asus DC2 7970 has noticeable whine. I thought all those fancy components (Super Alloy Chokes, Solid Cap, DigiVRM) reduced coil whine significantly.

ooooooooo thats what coil whine is lol

I had a couple PSU's that did that and I thought the fan was hitting something, kept cleaning it and moving the fans :p

I'm surprised the Asus DC2 7970 has noticeable whine. I thought all those fancy components (Super Alloy Chokes, Solid Cap, DigiVRM) reduced coil whine significantly.

hells no, thats all market gimmicks.

My XFX 7970 overclocks more than it.

My MSI Twin Frozr is much more quiet.

Asus's Direct Cooling really disappointed me.

Coil whine is the most possible explanation whether the noise emanates from the PSU or the card itself. I don't know whether either is true since haven't heard the noise in person.

Back