Square Enix President Says Streaming Is the Future

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Square Enix is the latest juggernaut to hop on the game-streaming bandwagon: in his New Year statement, CEO Yosuke Matsuda penned that streaming services would be the “key to future growth,” calling them “the ultimate driver of a rapid transition from the sale of games in boxes to digital consumption.” Ubisoft and EA have iterated similar notions.

…cloud streaming services for gaming have at last begun to show signs of taking off. Streaming is likely to bring a number of new platform operators into the market in addition to the existing console providers, while platform holders are also joining the PC gaming space. These developments produce a growing number of avenues through which game publishers and developers can provide content.

I see streaming as a way for businesses to make more money and nothing more.
Monthly subscription to stream + cost per game + DLC + in-game purchases. Companies don't have to pay to publish them physically.
Plus cost to ISP if you go over your monthly allotment for playing too many games.

Though, I don't see streaming being the primary way to game in the near future. Maybe 20 years out - too many rural areas without fast internet.

Maybe in Asia, not with the current state broadband is in stateside. We're a good 3-5 years away from 1gb speeds to 90% of american households. We're making progress on FTTx and Docsis 3.1 expansions, but plant and customer prim upgrades are expensive and time consuming. We also have to stop picking fights with content creators and partner more on local hub caching. I hope comcast wakes up and stops being the stick in the mud on those issues. I shouldn't be punished for wanting to use the internet more.

Sadly, it'll happen no matter what. The best we could do is slow it down a little bit, not much. History repeats itself. I just finished Singularity. I am an expert on time stuff now.

The infrastructure required to make it work effectively in anything but the most densely populated countries just isn't economically feasible. The end result of trying to switch to a GaaS model will be a sub-par gaming experience for large swaths of the gaming population.

Ubisoft and EA have iterated similar notions.
I do not think that word "iterated" means what Megalith thinks it means.
I'm guessing that last sentence of the commentary is supposed to mean "... have made similar predictions."

I do not think that word "iterated" means what Megalith thinks it means.
I'm guessing that last sentence of the commentary is supposed to mean "... have made similar predictions."
I think it means a lot closer to what megalith thinks than what you think.

youre not kidding. ive been playing assassins creed on project stream for the last 3 weeks or so. i normally sit around 300gb used for a month. for Dec i hit 777gb, and for Jan im already at 257gb.

I've been testing Project Stream sparingly mainly because I feel the service is unplayable you get max 1080P resolution, middle of the road graphic fidelity and not running anywhere near 60fps. I know this is a beta test but the service has a long way to go to become bearable let alone a go to option and that's not even mentioning the needed bandwidth!

just a way for them to make more money. but they would need to be "in bed" with various isp's to make it work properly. even then it wont be perfect.
they are looking at tv/movies and music streaming services but when it comes to games and more specifically mp games its a different ball game. just look at geforce now, gaikai (ps now), gamefly (now known as pj atlas) slowly gaining traction but nothing like say netflix or spotify has done when they kicked off. there a reason ms is looking heavily at project xcloud for its base spec next gen console, and google is toying with project xstream it could potentialy be the next big thing but only if the end service is upto spec,

i just hope it all fails tbh

Does this guy not realize that greedy american isp's will want to get a piece of the pie? Look how they throttled netflix, now this game streaming service will get throttled unless someone pays extra... eventually the consumer.

I'm waiting for the remake of this game for the cycle to be complete.
Etvideogamecover.jpg

On the bright side, with everything digital they won't need a landfill this time.

Reactions: M76
like this
He can say that all he wants, but the FCC, and telecommunications companies say different when they like charging per Gig or have caps.

Monthly subscription to stream + cost per game + DLC + in-game purchases. Companies don't have to pay to publish them physically.
Shit, if they do that, they can go screw themselves.
I am thinking something more akin to Netflix, and the get 1-3 services and call it a day (There probably will be more than 1-3 services available, I mean I would buy into 1-3).
I am in for streaming if its more like the netflix model..
If its the way you say, nah, hard pass.
Rural areas will either get a better connection or just live without, I do think streaming is coming, and is near inevitable.

I've been testing Project Stream sparingly mainly because I feel the service is unplayable you get max 1080P resolution, middle of the road graphic fidelity and not running anywhere near 60fps. I know this is a beta test but the service has a long way to go to become bearable let alone a go to option and that's not even mentioning the needed bandwidth!

in the open world, im not getting as clean of an image as id like, but im getting a solid 60fps, and the dialog scenes seem to be perfect. im guessing it has something to do with location and available bandwidth.

While the idea of broadband transfer caps (or overage payments etc) is a separate issue that needs to be quashed entirely if we're going to progress (the simple solution here is full public ownership of the fiber and towers, so no one can exploit the natural monopoly. Telecoms have been nothing but triple-dipping hands in our collective wallets) , that should not be the main reason to hold back game streaming! Game streaming needs to be quashed as a matter of principle and performance. The "always online" requirements have done more to harm players over the past decade plus and this will only get worse with streaming. We have enough problems with players not "owning" their games anymore and there is work to be done (ie to their credit, Steam is open to allowing resale of used games so to speak from one user to another, or back to Steam for credit etc... but the industry shrieks like banshees for every implementation that doesn't give them twice the money for zero work), but we have to move in the opposite direction!

Game streaming the way these companies want is entirely player hostile, with game files being streamed from their servers entirely and the player's computer/controller acting only as a dumb terminal to receive what is provided. This means the end to so many things from modding (ie you can't access the game files, they're not on your PC etc) to even things like major game sales as a single publisher would completely own and control the game on their servers! Streaming tech in and of itself isn't bad, but it must always be in user/player friendly implementations such as SteamLink, Moonlight, or perhaps even Parsec. Ideally, we should be bolstering streaming using open source tech and where both endpoints benefit/are controlled by the player. For the time being this likely won't come to fruition thanks to the lack of real infrastructure for affordable game streaming, but we need to start protesting NOW if this is not going to be added bit by bit over several years and by then it will be too late!

I had the Assassin's Creed thing and wound up buying the game because the quality was shit.

in the open world, im not getting as clean of an image as id like, but im getting a solid 60fps, and the dialog scenes seem to be perfect. im guessing it has something to do with location and available bandwidth.

Well if I get a source that can send it fast enough I top out at 43MB a second but i'm sure there are all kinds of variables that will affect the quality of the stream but considering I run a 1080Ti on a 144Hz 1440P monitor the service to me isn't worth it.

I hate that this will happen, but it will save me a ton of money.

Sadly, this is probably coming in the future. Anyone remember when Steam first came to market? It seemed crazy and kind of out there. I was still buying games from Best Buy, Microcenter or maybe even CompUSA. I had DSL (don't remember the speed anymore), moved out to the boonies and barely had dial-up. If I wanted to download a game from Steam over my dial up connection, it could literally take days (depending on the size of the game of course). Now, I have a cable modem and 200meg service. I can get higher faster speeds, but really don't need it right now (and don't want to pay for it).
I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a physical game.

I'm not crazy about this trend, but I do realize that it gives people an easier to pay for way to get into games that otherwise would require expensive hardware.

I just hope that this does not cut into the titles released for us who love our own local hardware.

I'm not crazy about this trend, but I do realize that it gives people an easier to pay for way to get into games that otherwise would require expensive hardware.

I just hope that this does not cut into the titles released for us who love our own local hardware.

It might not, but I can pretty much guarantee it will make all triple a titles subscription based.

This will only happen if people pay for it.

Most of us won't care for it, but it is easy to see how some kid would prefer a low monthly subscription fee over having to pay for a $600 console (or more for a PC) upfront.

Sure, long term costs are going to be higher, but people want stuff now, not later when they have saved up for it :p

If they can't pay upfront, most would probably be better served with one of those 0% special financing payment deals to spread out the cost of the hardware than this, but...

I certainly hope that doesn't come to pass.

I'll stop playing games before I ever subscribe to a game.

Same here, but it will save me money if they do, no indie game pushes a system so longer upgrade cycle, and no triple a titles to pay for!

This will only happen if people pay for it.
Which nobody will. It maybe growth for the company but nobody in their right mind will ever pay for a cloud gaming service. They just need to make good games and stop trying to make shareholders happy.

By the time current AAA studios exclusively chase the streaming dollar, other studios will have access to much better asset generating tools. 3d maps using real world cameras and other nueral nets creating and animating humans. There will always be a market for non-streaming games as long a people are interested.

I mean a lot of those indie games would be more competitive, they just need better graphical assets.

Which nobody will. It maybe growth for the company but nobody in their right mind will ever pay for a cloud gaming service. They just need to make good games and stop trying to make shareholders happy.

Just like nobody would pay for day-one DLC/non-physical preorders? Just like nobody would pay for microtransactions? Just like nobody would pay for SP games with always-online requirements? Just like nobody would pay for lootboxes?

Something something slowly boil the frog etc.

I expect the opposite, make a game everyone wants, make it stream exclusive, and everyone will buylease it. If it's not stream exclusive, just have minimum requirements that 99% of the audience doesn't have or feature only local-machine multiplayer. I base this on how well the Modern Warfare 2 boycott Steam group went.

God damn it I want to own it physically, in my hands when possible. Otherwise how is it even mine?

I readily hear of people canceling or considering cancelling services like netflix and amazon prime as the costs over the years have inevitably raised over the original low entry fee 'carrot dangle' prices. You can always rejoin prime or netflix and remember your favorite movies or get faster delivery on something or whatever.. it's not a big decision.

But the decision to cancel your [Insert endless various streaming platforms] for gaming means you presumably lose all your Saves, Games lists, DLC, friends, screenshots, video clips, achievements etc.. ? Rejoining isn't just a case of searching for that movie you once liked but literally starting your whole online gaming profile again and losing everything you once setup or spent. So when your paying out of the wazoo for the 4th price hike a few years time your trapped between two rocks with your legs open with no downloadable service like GOG or Steam left, that service could be ready to kick you in the nuts if you ever leave.

Sounds like hell for PC Gamers, though im sure people will be lured in with lots of 'free' titles at first.

Last edited:
I readily hear of people canceling or considering cancelling services like netflix and amazon prime as the costs over the years have inevitably raised over the original low entry fee 'carrot dangle' prices. You can always rejoin prime or netflix and remember your favorite movies or get faster delivery on something or whatever.. it's not a big decision.

But the decision to cancel your [Insert endless various streaming platforms] for gaming means you presumably lose all your Saves, Games lists, DLC, friends, screenshots, video clips, achievements etc.. Rejoining isn't just a case of searching for that movie you once liked but literally starting your whole online gaming profile again and losing everything you once setup or spent. So when your paying out of the wazoo for the 4th price hike a few years time your trapped between two rocks with your legs open with no downloadable service like GOG or Steam left, that corporation is ready to kick you in the nuts if you ever leave. Even if through no fault of your own one or two years out of your life you can't afford the subscription.

Sounds like heaven for mobile gamers and hell for PC Gamers.

Actually, if it's like Playstation Plus or Xbox Gold then it'd be easy to join/drop.

Currently, with both of those, you can redeem free games. If you cancel and rejoin, you get access to previously redeemed games. You can't play them when you're canceled and can't get any that were offered while you weren't active.
The only difference is though that it's cheaper to sign up for a year vs. month to month.

Actually, if it's like Playstation Plus or Xbox Gold then it'd be easy to join/drop.

How long can you cancel your payment for before your account is not valid for rejoining ? Typically a company holds financial records for 7 years, but id be interested to know that.

Still that doesn't temp me anymore for streaming vs downloading. I don't like to call lag, no internet means no games, varying bitrate image quality, questionable support for 3rd party devices or custom setups, zero choice on monthly payment (contracts are a thing) but i can choose not to buy a game that month as mere "hurdles".

i hope it doesn't replace download entirely but it probably will one day.

Last edited:
Back