Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda Thinks Games Shouldn't Be Fun

I've never played a FF game and I'd recognize the dude with the big blonde hair and bigger sword, Link.

I mean, I'll be honest. If I saw the stupid looking dude with the blonde spiky hair and a sword twice the size of his body Is probably peg it as Final Fantasy.

Pretty much Goku with a oversized sword.

I know at least that much.

But any of the other characters? No. The only thing that would give it away would be the spikey hair and the ridiculous huge sword.

This girl that was pictured who looks a lot like Anna Kendrick wasn't carrying a big sword and didn't have spiky hair, so there was nothing distinguishing her from any other almost anime character (big eyes) drawn to be ambiguously either white or asian or both (to maximize international market share). There are a lot of those.

Outside of like Capcom games I couldn't tell you who is who from any Japanese game - edit wait Metal Gear too but even then a bunch of I dunno look at page 3456743 of the lore

They all look like the same squid victims to me

You monster. You're like that Minecraft Youtuber who uses his left thumb to hit the left Shift key.

Lol.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but my controls are certainly unorthodox.

They are based on default controls from early FPS titles (Quake etc.) but modified over 25 years to suit my needs.

I use arrow keys to move around (forwards, backwards, strafe left/right)

Right shift is sprint/walk. Right control is crouch. Enter is "use".

Usually the block of keys above the arrow keys is used for weapon stuff. Delete is reload. End is drop, PGDN is aim/scope.

Usually backspace is heal/bandage.

Numpad keys have various functions. Usually the numbers are quick selects for various weapons, the big 0 key is meme attack, and the "," key is quick grenade.

Left mouse is of course Fire1. Right mouse is jump. If a game has an important fire2 key that is separate from aiming, I'll fit that in somewhere else around the arrow keys.

That and the Y axis is inverted, probably because when I first started playing games with a mouse I played a lot of flight sims, and after that playing inverted just felt natural to me.

I never understood the switch to WASD. It made absolutely no sense to me, do I never adapted.

Occasionally this causes a problem as some poorly coded or poorly porter game had hard coded keys, but most of the time it is fine. When this happens I can always remap the keys in the registry using sharpkeys. I'd rather do that than switch to WASD.

This time he is right. You act as if Final Fantasy lore should be common knowledge. I have no idea who that character is either. And as someone who has grown up not playing any FF game, the FF lore seems like a giant jumble of dozens of conflicting timelines and games I have no desire to untangle.

As I said, I have never played the game, in fact I think the only FF game I really played and actually got on with is FF15, which a lot of FF fans did not like. So I'm pretty far from being an FF fan in any way.

That said, I still know who Cloud, Aeris, Barrett, Tifa, etc. are just from cultural osmosis. *shrug*

I'm not trying to shame anyone, it's just kind of shocking to me that someone who is "into" games wouldn't be at least somewhat familiar. It's almost like saying you don't know who Lara Croft is.

I'm not trying to shame anyone, it's just kind of shocking to me that someone who is "into" games wouldn't be at least somewhat familiar. It's almost like saying you don't know who Lara Croft is.

"Oh yeah, I play video games, they're fun!"

"Oh yeah!? Name ever video game character ever!" 🔫😡

Edit: It reeks of that even if unintentional, c'mon :p

Good. I hope he commits seppuku and someone with passion take control.

Sadly, SE has never really had anyone with passion in control. Yoichi Wada, the previous head, was nothing but a corporate dude (accorded to his Wiki page, he only ever wanted to run companies, regardless of what the company was) and was one of the people to run Sakaguchi out of Squaresoft after the FF movie disaster.

As I said, I have never played the game, in fact I think the only FF game I really played and actually got on with is FF15, which a lot of FF fans did not like. So I'm pretty far from being an FF fan in any way.

That said, I still know who Cloud, Aeris, Barrett, Tifa, etc. are just from cultural osmosis. *shrug*

The effects of cultural osmosis aren’t universal. I couldn’t name a single character that originated in any MOBA, same with every hero shooter outside of Overwatch. I wouldn’t even recognize the art style of those games. It’s something I have basically zero interest in so I completely ignore things about them. As such, I don’t get any osmosis due to not being exposed to them at all.

You monster. You're like that Minecraft Youtuber who uses his left thumb to hit the left Shift key.
My brain does not comprehend moving the mouse up to look up and down to look down. Until a few years ago I thought inverted was the way most people looked around in games. I remember it being the default in games for quite a long time while I was growing up.

My brain does not comprehend moving the mouse up to look up and down to look down. Until a few years ago I thought inverted was the way most people looked around in games. I remember it being the default in games for quite a long time while I was growing up.

I used to do inverted looong ago. First games where I used mouse to move and aim were mostly flying games like Red Baron or Descent or such. For them inverted is obviously the more natural way to go (I think it was default too) and from there the habit stayed for looong time even into FPS games. I don't remember why or when but the habit did wear off and nowadays up is up and down is down. :D

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Examples? Ive never in my years on this earth heard of any game and/or series of games referred to as a "western centered" games. If you are referring to stuff that just "isnt japanese" then basically the entire world likes that stuff, not just "western" cultures.

I cant even begin to fathom how nobody you know has interest in anything:

Bandai Namco
Capcom
Konami
Nintendo
Sega
SNK
SquareEnix
Tecmo / Koei Tecmo
Atlus
Sony
Include me in the list of people to have never played games from any of these publishers (Except Tomb Raider)

No, but I know a My Little Pony when I bloody see one. And just as you I am not familiar with Harry Potter as I have not seen a single movie nor read the books, but I know who Harry Potter is and would recognise his face anywhere. This is exactly the point, I would assume most gamers to recognise Aeris too, considering how famous her fate is in the game.

When you ask what FF game should one start on and compile all the answers there are usually two choices that come out at top: either 6 if you are into retro 16-bit games or 7 if you are not. They are old and ugly but unless you are a young graphics oriented gamer I doubt that is a huge problem, they still have the best story and characters in the serie. Not sure how you ended up with 8, that is quite mediocre with convoluted gameplay with all the "drawing" and linking magic to your stats etc... The game has its fans but it is not one of the big ones. And as you noticed, the remaster was a misnomer. The game was simply compatibility patched (they are very old Windows games after all) for modern systems and few filters added on top. Yeah I can get the same result with PS1 version via PCSX emulator... Final Fantasy 10 is very divisive. There are a lot of diehard fans and I would understand if that is where you might have started from but personally I hated that game, second worst FF game right after 13.
FF8 is one of the most popular of the older titles in many circles. Hating FF8 while overlooking flaws in 7 is the cooler way to go though.
People that don't get FF usually aren't the feels type and will never get it. It's like me not caring for modern COD or Wow. Its just not my area of interest.

FF8 is one of the most popular of the older titles in many circles. Hating FF8 while overlooking flaws in 7 is the cooler way to go though.
People that don't get FF usually aren't the feels type and will never get it. It's like me not caring for modern COD or Wow. Its just not my area of interest.
Eh FF8 is proabably the least popular of the PS1 era games. Not saying it is bad or anything.

The game I consistently hear about when people discuss "the best" FF game, is FF7.
I like the story in FF6 better... its my favorite, but my daughters name is Aeris... so...

FF8 was good, I just remember hating the magic system at first.

Eh FF8 is proabably the least popular of the PS1 era games. Not saying it is bad or anything.
If we're going by sales then FF9 is the least popular. FF7 on PSX sold 10 million worldwide, FF8 sold 8.6 million, and FF9 sold 5.5 million.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Again I see quite a bit of support for it in many circles. Id say ff7, then 8, 6 and the later ones I hear most of in that order.
Some communities hate it and others rate it above ff7, it all depends who is talking, I prefer it over 7 as it's more relatable and story gets really out there.

The only Japanese RPG I ever played and liked enough to keep playing past a minute if that was Parasite Eve but that's because I'm a RE dork and it had RE/survival horror/horror vibes

The only Japanese RPG I ever played and liked enough to keep playing past a minute if that was Parasite Eve but that's because I'm a RE dork and it had RE/survival horror/horror vibes
I think some of these messages are a revelation to some of the members here who don't really understand people can like different genres.

Very untrue. FFXIII was extremely cyberpunk, You could even argue for FFVIII.
FFVII is way more Steampunk, its some cool dystopian combination of Steampunk and Art Deco. The Remake is much more explicit on this aspect.
It's less pure steampunk than FFVI, but I partly blame that on the actual rendering technology of the time.

Anyway, I'm currently playing through FFVII remake and absolutely loving it, also really looking forward to Forspoken coming out soon.

Of course, I'm a giant JRPG fan (I've played every single Final Fantasy and almost every Dragon Quest, and pretty much every other jRPG that Squeenix has put out in the past 3 decades - along with a ton from Atlus, Bandai-Namco, Gust, etc.)

If Squeenix goes the NFT route, i'll just not buy their stuff anymore.

Ah, I forgot about FFXIII, and I will agree that it does have elements of such.
FFVIII was romance sci-fi at best - there was nothing cyberpunk about it.

As for FFVII, it most certainly is cyberpunk - evil megacorp, high tech and cyber technology, and an incredibly low quality of life for a significant swath of the population (high tech, low life – genre staple).
Not denying the fantasy element in it, and arguably outside of Midgar the cyberpunk genre tends to fade, but in the remake it is 100% cyberpunk in theme and operation.

Hi-tech Low-Life Chart.png

Last edited:
Meh.. the FFVII remake was lukewarm, and the last game they had that really was worthwhile was FFVII... >20 years ago.

I'm just going to continue buying games that I play for fun, not made by SE.

NFT's are a joke. Ubisoft tried this recently and got clapped.

you missed 8,9,10,12.

The only Sqenix games I recall ever playing are Deus Ex HR and MD. MD is a great game, but their nickle and dime DLC didn't sell like Sqenix wanted so they mothballed the series. Let the company go bankrupt and perhaps somebody competent will make good games with the IPs.

I used to play inverted in the early days, then somehow I don't know how got out of the habit.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
A new year, and a new letter from S-E President Yosuke Matsuda touting NFT projects. Despite the bad year for crypto in general during 2022, he is excited by it in that we can now focus more on the "experience" instead of monetization. That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see how it plays out for him.

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/2023/html/a_new_years_letter_from_the_president_3.html
They lost a bunch of money to NFT and what a brilliant move to double down on NFTs afterwards. I hope SE goes out of business cause of this. They deserve it.

They lost a bunch of money to NFT and what a brilliant move to double down on NFTs afterwards. I hope SE goes out of business cause of this. They deserve it.
I don't want them to go out of business. Some of their games were basically my childhood. I do hope at some point this leads them to dislodge their heads from their asses, though.

I don't want them to go out of business. Some of their games were basically my childhood. I do hope at some point this leads them to dislodge their heads from their asses, though.
Go out of business, no, but their restructuring plan is very much in line with a company looking to get sold.

Go out of business, no, but their restructuring plan is very much in line with a company looking to get sold.
They were my childhood also but I can't stand what they have become. Sony needs to hurry up and buy them. Then clean house.

They were my childhood also but I can't stand what they have become. Sony needs to hurry up and buy them. Then clean house.
Honestly, I don't know if I want Sony to buy them, I mean the FF games are basically Sony exclusives as is and while Sony I am sure could do right by the remaining Square franchises I kinda hate exclusives and don't want Sony to do that. I mean if they were gonna go that route I would almost prefer it to be Nintendo, I mean then they would definitely be console exclusives, but I would at least trust Nintendo to improve the franchise not just kick it down the road and add a new set of numerals at the end.
But really and it pains me so very very much to say this I think one of the larger publishers would do a better job of it, it hurts me so very much to think that Tencent <throws up in mouth a little> could be the lesser of the available evils here.

Honestly, I don't know if I want Sony to buy them, I mean the FF games are basically Sony exclusives as is and while Sony I am sure could do right by the remaining Square franchises I kinda hate exclusives and don't want Sony to do that. I mean if they were gonna go that route I would almost prefer it to be Nintendo, I mean then they would definitely be console exclusives, but I would at least trust Nintendo to improve the franchise not just kick it down the road and add a new set of numerals at the end.
But really and it pains me so very very much to say this I think one of the larger publishers would do a better job of it, it hurts me so very much to think that Tencent <throws up in mouth a little> could be the lesser of the available evils here.
Nintendo is the last company I want to buy SE. Nintendo hardware is always lacking and you can kiss PC ports good bye. SE likes to push the hardware a bit with their main games which is not possible with a Nintendo console. I am sure there are still talented and good developers at SE. Management is the one that needs the boot. I honestly would rather let MS buy SE over Nintendo.

Nintendo is the last company I want to buy SE. Nintendo hardware is always lacking and you can kiss PC ports good bye. SE likes to push the hardware a bit with their main games which is not possible with a Nintendo console. I am sure there are still talented and good developers at SE. Management is the one that needs the boot. I honestly would rather let MS buy SE over Nintendo.
I get that but at the same time, FF games have become all eye-candy and little content, I would at least trust Nintendo to work on content and gameplay. I don't need a realistic rendering of my character's buttholes, I just want a good story and decent gameplay.

I get that but at the same time, FF games have become all eye-candy and little content, I would at least trust Nintendo to work on content and gameplay. I don't need a realistic rendering of my character's buttholes, I just want a good story and decent gameplay.
I don't think Nintendo is the answer for good story. I can give you gameplay. I miss good old turn based FF.

I don't think Nintendo is the answer for good story. I can give you gameplay. I miss good old turn based FF.
Turn the project over to game freak, it's basically pokemon at that point.
Now I just want to play Pokemon... This is not going to be a productive day.

Under Jim Ryan, Sony isn't much better. I can almost guarantee that if they were to pick up SE they'd keep going with the blockchain and NFT bullshit. Let's not forget that Sony is heavily investing in live service shit and wants to pump out tons of those games.

Turn the project over to game freak, it's basically pokemon at that point.
Now I just want to play Pokemon... This is not going to be a productive day.
Game Freak isn't the studio it was before, either. All their games have been janky and had their own problems ever since Sword & Shield came out. Scarlet & Violet is the worst so far.

From this quote here I both hate him with all my being but I can't fault him, which makes me hate him more because I personally know the kinds of people he is talking about.
“I realize that some people who “play to have fun” and who currently form the majority of players have voiced their reservations toward these new trends, and understandably so. However, I believe that there will be a certain number of people whose motivation is to “play to contribute,”

Ah yes the player playing to contribute and get a false sense of real life achievement. Perfect people to milk for money. Square can clearly make more money making predatory systems around them then they can making money off people playing for fun. All we're really saying is taking advantage of people that are borderline mentally ill is more profitable than making games for fun.

This is why we are never going to get a really good MMO without a cash shop ever.

Game Freak isn't the studio it was before, either. All their games have been janky and had their own problems ever since Sword & Shield came out. Scarlet & Violet is the worst so far.
Don't get me started on those two... seriously school classes, I have read novels with less text than those games and my Daughter who is still learning to read is so bitter about it walls of text because she struggles so hard there. She's 7. And I don't even want to think about the janky raid performance from where I am I basically load in maybe press 3 buttons then things dance around on screen for 30s then the raid ends and we either won or lost but I contributed nothing, so if I grouped with you thanks for the carry.
Yeah Game Freak WTF...
So yeah lets not give it to them.
Let Microsoft try to buy them, just to watch Sony have a panic attack, I could use a laugh.

Back