Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda Thinks Games Shouldn't Be Fun

I don't want them to go out of business. Some of their games were basically my childhood. I do hope at some point this leads them to dislodge their heads from their asses, though.
SE isn't the SquareSoft and Enix of the 1990s.
At a minimum they need nearly all upper management booted as the development skills are there, but the direction is not and hasn't been for nearly 20 years.

Now that they're done with Tomb Raider the only franchise left of theirs I'd want to play is Parasite Eve, and that took a while to remember at that, anyway
The first two games were each gold in their own ways.
Take a look at what they did to the third game circa 2007 - there is a reason upper management needs to be booted.

You know, I have to admit, I couldn't remember what titles Square Enix has made, so I went over to check out their list of titles on Wikipedia and I haven't played any of them!

It seems heavily weighted towards the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy side of things, which I have never been interested in.

Still it is disappointing to see any major player in the industry take this stance.
Yep, I haven't played a single one of their games either. And they've sure made a lot of games.

Game Freak isn't the studio it was before, either. All their games have been janky and had their own problems ever since Sword & Shield came out. Scarlet & Violet is the worst so far.

I’d argue that they’ve fallen off since X & Y. Gen 5 seems to be the last time that Pokémon was nearly universally loved.

I’d argue that they’ve fallen off since X & Y. Gen 5 seems to be the last time that Pokémon was nearly universally loved.
Arceus Legends was fun nothing bad there, super grindy but not bad by any stretch.

We should have a manager category so they can make "How I got to be where I am" games. So the don't bother us with this in other games. But there are properly an agenda with job creation and keep people busy with something.

Making games to sell to customers so they can play and enjoy those games is so passé.

If the customer isn't beholden to the company the customer is the enemy of the company.

I would love a new PE. SE got people excited when they announced the symbiogenesis only to turn out to be their first Blockchain bull shit game.

I'd be happy with remakes or even just re-releases of PE1 and 2 at this point. Give them some light updates like SE did for FF 7-9 and throw them up on digital store fronts. With the retro market being all kinds of fucked these days, finding good quality copies of the PS1 versions is pretty expensive so a cheaper way to get them, legally, would be wonderful.

Don't get me started on those two... seriously school classes, I have read novels with less text than those games and my Daughter who is still learning to read is so bitter about it walls of text because she struggles so hard there. She's 7. And I don't even want to think about the janky raid performance from where I am I basically load in maybe press 3 buttons then things dance around on screen for 30s then the raid ends and we either won or lost but I contributed nothing, so if I grouped with you thanks for the carry.
Yeah Game Freak WTF...
So yeah lets not give it to them.
Let Microsoft try to buy them, just to watch Sony have a panic attack, I could use a laugh.

Less text hah, back in my day we had Planescape Torment and we liked it

I don't think Nintendo is the answer for good story. I can give you gameplay. I miss good old turn based FF.

Play Persona 5 if you want the pinnacle of turn based JRPG

I honestly couldn't get into P5. The persona series in general actually.

I wasn't sure I liked the social stuff at first, but it became one of my favorite parts. It was my first Persona but I was hooked once I started getting some traction.

Also it's LOOOONG but never felt tedious or samey to me, which is an accomplishment given the absolutely sprawling run-time.

I wasn't sure I liked the social stuff at first, but it became one of my favorite parts. It was my first Persona but I was hooked once I started getting some traction.

Also it's LOOOONG but never felt tedious or samey to me, which is an accomplishment given the absolutely sprawling run-time.
Yea I only got past the first castle with the slime ball coach. I keep wanting to go back to it but gaming in general is meh to me ATM. The social stuff isn't what bothered me. I love the trails games and the cold steel games were pretty heavy on it.

Play Persona 5 if you want the pinnacle of turn based JRPG

Oh the Persona 5 is soooo good! That said you have to like some anime tropes to love the game but I have atleast 5 playthroughs under my belt on the original and about to start a second one on Royal.

Game Freak isn't the studio it was before, either. All their games have been janky and had their own problems ever since Sword & Shield came out. Scarlet & Violet is the worst so far.

I don't think Nintendo is the answer for good story. I can give you gameplay. I miss good old turn based FF.
I agree on this. Nintendo is capable of outputting amazing content when they want to, but success is particularly bad for Nintendo. We saw this during the Wii/DS era and again now during the Switch: when Nintendo does well we mostly get lazy ports and re-releases and constant delays in the release of their top AAA titles. Now if we could go back to the Wii U era when Nintendo that was desperate for survival and we got some of the greatest Nintendo games ever made such as BotW, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, etc that would be a totally different story.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Nintendo to be able to bring out SE's potential if they bought them, especially with how Nintendo is behaving during the Switch era. We might get lucky and SE would become the next Monolith Soft that outputs great games even when times are good, but on the other hand, SE could just as easily become the next Retro Studios that has taken 4 years to make a new Metroid Prime game that we haven't even seen a trailer for yet.

I think that Sony should buy SE, make some changes at the top and help bring the studio back to its routes. I think that would be best for everybody.

Back