Square Enix: “A New Tomb Raider Game Is Coming”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The announcement isn't much of a surprise, as the name of the upcoming installment, “Shadow of the Tomb Raider,” was leaked as early as January ’16, but it does seem to suggest that we could be seeing the game at E3 next year. The new title will be developed by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex, Thief) instead of Crystal Dynamics.

"Driven by our goal of putting our fans first, we want you to know that it won't be very long between the official reveal and when you can play. Our journey together will begin with a major event in 2018. We simply can't wait to take you on Lara Croft's defining adventure." The "major event" the statement references will presumably be E3 next summer. And Square Enix saying "it won't be very long" between the reveal and release suggests it may arrive next autumn.

Let's see if they learned their lesson from RotTR that taking a bribe check from Microsoft to keep the game off PC and PS4 for six months is a really dumb financial move.

I hope it turns out alright, been waiting for another Tomb Raider game, I hope Eidos Montreal doesn't screw it up like they did with Thief. I also thought the Deus Ex reboots have been sub par.

Let's see if they learned their lesson from RotTR that taking a bribe check from Microsoft to keep the game off PC and PS4 for six months is a really dumb financial move.
The check is going to need to be really huge this time. PS4 is 70 million potential customer compared to Xbox 30.

A bit self serving, but I'd rather them work on the next Deus Ex installment instead of this. I did enjoy the reboot, but never finished it. I have RotR, but haven't found time to start it up either. I've already gone through DX:MD a couple of times!

I'm still waiting for "Knocking Up The Tomb Raider" or "Womb Raider - The search for the secret cave"

Who ever names these games needs to get fired. Glad another one is in the works. The game names need a revision. Hopefully this new game tones down the boring religion theme.

Considering the most recent game underperformed in sales, my guess is they intend to have plenty of microtransactions for this installment (keeping in mind RotTR already had some).

I rather enjoyed the two TR instances, I certainly am looking for the next one. Hope there won't be any micro transactions though. DLC for RoTR was too expensive though but main game well worth the cost.

Back