SQUAD - New tactical Game from the BF2 Project Reality Team

Guys, if you like fun/tactical games here is where is at!

I didn't know about it until few days ago.

Squad

Developed by the same team from BF2 Project Reality.

268x268.resizedimage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEBqUSWqyR4

Steam Greenlight :: Squad

637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage

Some Videos

Screenshots

Purty game, looks gorgeous.

Something about the way the guys run just looks weird to me though.

Soooo they're trying to replicate ArmA, then?

If you guys like the way this looks you should just play ArmA. Hell, even the map looks like ArmA 2 OA.

Is not ArmA. Nothing wrong about it just it's not a military simulator game.

If you are familiar with Battlefield 2 there was a mod called Project Reality where the team added more realistic features without jeopardizing "Fun" :)

This PR mod is still very much alive.

I would say this game falls more under the Insurgency game category + vehicles.

Also it's using the latest UE4 engine.

What is Squad?

Squad is an in-development tactical first person shooter built around teamwork and cooperation. It seeks to bridge the rather large gap between arcade shooter and military sim, and is based in large part on the ideas introduced by our predecessor, the Project Reality modification for Battlefield 2.

More Info here http://joinsquad.com/about

Last edited:
Not a fan of the vehicles. Arcade vehicles + realistic infantry doesn't work well to me. I know a lot of people will jump out and start saying it will be a "military simulator" or "battle field simulator" but that couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't mind some vehicles, like hummers and whatnot, but once you go with post WWII tanks it will be very hard to replicate. If the tank combat is point and click then the game will have failed massively. Lets not get started on the obviously arcade aircraft.

I was looking forward to Squad but now I am not. I am also not a fan of some of their artistic ideas to unrealistically force slow play/"realism". Take the obscenely slow reloads, constant chamber checks as an example.

I was looking forward to Squad but now I am not. I am also not a fan of some of their artistic ideas to unrealistically force slow play/"realism". Take the obscenely slow reloads, constant chamber checks as an example.

I'm a big fan of this. hopefully they make you play slower with slow reloads and large recoil because a video game is nothing like real life. PR is still excellent game getting retail version would be fantastic.

What happened to the mod they were doing for the cryengine did they abandon it or what?

I'm a big fan of this. hopefully they make you play slower with slow reloads and large recoil because a video game is nothing like real life. PR is still excellent game getting retail version would be fantastic.

What happened to the mod they were doing for the cryengine did they abandon it or what?

They moved it to the new Unreal UE4 engine

I'm not a fan of this. Their approach is the late 90s to early 2000s approach to realism/tactical play. The end result is often contradictory to their goals. And it just looks damn ridiculous to roll your weapon over sideways every time you touch it. Kind of like an airsofter who is trying to look cool. :p

something is fishy here, doesn't pass the smell test. my bullshit meter is in the red - fake game/vapor, just like Project Reality 2 on CryEngine that never materialized because there was no organization or real developers working on it, and it just limped along as little more than an abandoned forum.

I also don't believe that anyone from the original PR BF2 is actually involved with this. it seems to a handful of noobs that aren't actually game developers trying to generate hype and 'fake it til they make it', hoping they'll be able to recruit actual game developers. and meantime screwing around with the free UE4 dev tools and stock/canned assets in a color-by-numbers sort of way to create perception that a game is actually being developed.

credit to them though: they got the hype train rolling on steam and I imagine it's even exceeded their own expectations. but they're basically making this up as they go along. More power to them for trying, that's what these game engines going free-to-get-started is all about, and I'm definitely not saying "I hope it fails" or anything - but I'll be very surprised if anything materializes from this.

Last edited:
something is fishy here, doesn't pass the smell test. my bullshit meter is in the red - fake game/vapor, just like Project Reality 2 on CryEngine that never materialized because there was no organization or real developers working on it, and it just limped along as little more than an abandoned forum.

I also don't believe that anyone from the original PR BF2 is actually involved with this. it seems to a handful of noobs that aren't actually game developers trying to generate hype and 'fake it til they make it', hoping they'll be able to recruit actual game developers. and meantime screwing around with the free UE4 dev tools and stock/canned assets in a color-by-numbers sort of way to create perception that a game is actually being developed.

credit to them though: they got the hype train rolling on steam and I imagine it's even exceeded their own expectations. but they're basically making this up as they go along. More power to them for trying, that's what these game engines going free-to-get-started is all about, and I'm definitely not saying "I hope it fails" or anything - but I'll be very surprised if anything materializes from this.

Wow! You should visit the their forums. Game is moving along pretty well and sound no just like you are painting it.

Squad is almost reaching 40K votes in just few days in Steam.

This is the real deal and I'm all for supporting indie developers. Big money is ruining tactical gaming.

BF2:pR is a free to play mod for Battlefield 2.

PR2 is/was a free to play game built on CryEngine 3, it's based on BF2:pR but made by a completely different team. (the whole project is pretty much dead, not a single word has been heard from the for over a year).

Squad is a commercial game made on the Unreal Engine 4 by some of the current and former developers of BF2:pR. 90% of the Squad dev team is from PR:BF2.

PR2 is dead. Different team. It was to be a free game. Squad is a commercial game. It is to he headquartered in Canada, although it came close to cancellation recently. But they seem back on track.

The problemi have with all these 'realistic' tac-shooters is that they all take place in the same damn Midwestern conifer Forrest. Show me an urban situation, not a couple houses, but an actual skyscraper-dotted concrete jungle. I'm tired of playing around in the Midwestern Forrest.

The problemi have with all these 'realistic' tac-shooters is that they all take place in the same damn Midwestern conifer Forrest. Show me an urban situation, not a couple houses, but an actual skyscraper-dotted concrete jungle. I'm tired of playing around in the Midwestern Forrest.

What are you talking about? They're almost always set in Central Asian scrubland. You've got a point about the monotony, though.

Anyway this looks like a crappy Insurgency clone (yeah, I know Project Reality came first) on Unreal Engine 4 (which has shitty terrain geometry and player movement). There's literally nothing new here.

What are you talking about? They're almost always set in Central Asian scrubland. You've got a point about the monotony, though.

Anyway this looks like a crappy Insurgency clone (yeah, I know Project Reality came first) on Unreal Engine 4 (which has shitty terrain geometry and player movement). There's literally nothing new here.

It actually looks a lot better than Insurgency, which itself takes many steps back from RO1. INS is rather underwhelming IMO. The maps/movement are pretty poor.

It actually looks a lot better than Insurgency, which itself takes many steps back from RO1. INS is rather underwhelming IMO. The maps/movement are pretty poor.

Well, Insurgency is pretty bad IMO, and to me this doesn't look that much better. Not much hope for the tactical shooter genre, I'm afraid. America's Army was about as good as it ever got.

I think insurgency is fantastic especially the movement and aiming. The comparison to RO1 is ridiculous as they are not even close to the same type of game.

Last edited:
Game is up on Steam I asked some question on the forum to see if it's more like ARMA or BF 3 or 4.

Well, Insurgency is pretty bad IMO, and to me this doesn't look that much better. Not much hope for the tactical shooter genre, I'm afraid. America's Army was about as good as it ever got.

i really like insurgency. i'd still like to see a game bring back what americas army 2 had. its too bad they took the game offline cause people would probably still be playing it.

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=123

penetration_1.gif

penetration_2.gif

We've done a major optimization pass over almost every single system in Squad. We've improved collision and physics performance, graphical and GPU performance, multithreaded major pieces of the game such as animations and vehicle updates, and many more performance improvements. Additionally, Effects have had a wholesale overhaul after some detailed profiling on both Intel and AMD machines. Optimization of shader implementations and a detailed pass over configs and best practices gave us a 10x improvement in performance of effects. This should greatly improve reliability of frame rate in large firefights. There is still a bit of work to do but the results we've seen are already worth the effort. As always, we will continue to improve the performance and optimize the game with every patch.

f*ck BF and its current community ( 12yr olds, casuals and BC2 "veterans" ) f*ck ARMA and its 2001 engine

this is the real shit :D wishlisted, I'll bite on next sale even it's only 10% off - no second thoughts !!

Back