SQL Server Virtualization: Why do it?

d7a7z7e7d

Gawd
I'm trying to figure out the benefit of putting a production SQL Server setup inside of a virtual machine such as hyper-v or vmware. So far one nice thing would be that I could easily backup the vm image and restore the entire sql server database to a certain date should a hotfix or other database operation have unwanted results. But other than that, I don't understand the benefit of it yet so many people seem to be praising the idea. Why?

I'm planning on creating a new server, probably quad core, 16gb ram... will have a separate physical disk available just for sql server... but should I install it on the host OS (which will probably be server 2008)... or should I put it on a copy of server 2008 inside of hyper-v?

Recovery, migration, redundancy, clean installation, and easier support. These days, having a dedicated OS per server performance application makes the management easier. The best part is your migration is a snap if you have a fast NAS or SAN network.

The above and in larger environments - the ability to run multiple VMs thus saving Server purchase cost, floor space, maintenance and electricity.

As others have said, there's no intrinsic benefit to the application by using the virtual machine, it's just that it allows you to easily consolidate servers. If you're working in a large environment (university, large corporation, etc.) then you have literally dozens and dozens of servers to cover all of your services. Being able to combine maybe 3 or 4 servers into 1 by means of virtualization is a big deal.

My brother in law is a bigwig in a university's IT department and he told me that they were recently able to cut their total number of servers practically by 3/4 by virtualizing all of their services.

Back