SQL 2008 Server Management Studio and SQL 2005 Server

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by vage, Mar 9, 2009.

1. vage

vage 2[H]4U

Hey guys,

We are running an MSSQL 2005 Server with a clients database on it. The client uses a developer in India who is using SQL 2008 Server Management Studio. When he tries to connect to our 2005 Server, he gets an error. We have downloaded and reproduced the error and it appears to be a problem with 2008 studio trying to connect to a 2005 server. I have asked the developer to move to a different version of Studio, but for the future I was wondering if anyone here knew of any kind of fix for this at all?

2. vage

vage 2[H]4U

Wow, so this took me a while to find. here is the answer for anyone that needs help with this.

Basically, when you click on Databases in the Object Explorer pane, hit F7 to bring up the Object Explorer Details Pane. Right click on the column headers in the Object Explorer Details pane, and deselect the "Collation" option. Refresh and you should now see a list of all the databases on that server.

Really stupid miss by Microsoft on this one, I don't know why they don't fix it either.

3. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

they expect everyone to upgrade their entire infrastructure and clients to the new version the very second they come out simultaneously, thats why