Sprint users can get a free Asus AC66U router

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I was browsing a facebook pc page and someone there mentioned that Sprint gives a free Router to use for Wifi Calling.
I went ahead and called and asked about it last week and they said I could get one so the put in an order and it arrived today.

I set it up as an AP since I have another router upstairs handling the DHCP stuff. I am in the garage most of the day and I use my phone while I am in here so having the AP in here is the best choice.

Oh, Sprint owns the router for the 1st year, if you cancel your service before a year you have to either give them back the router or pay $85 to keep it, after the 1st year it is yours to keep.

Sprint wifi connect.jpg

Sprint wifi connect speed test.jpg

I think you can get the same router from T-Mobile as well. But T-Mo's router has a proprietary firmware that locks you out of loading a 3rd party firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT. Not a big deal for most, but I wonder if this one is locked down as well.

It is still a nice router for as old as it is. Mine is still kicking. Have had Merlin's firmware on it since day one.

To get a nicer router will cost 4X as much today and not net you a whole lot...unless you're wanting to VPN encrypt on the router itself.

I am just using it for WiFi in the garage in AP mode. I've got a Linksys router upstairs connected to the modem, then a wire coming down to the family room to a Verizon router that is used as a switch and WiFi for downstairs, then a wire from there into the garage.

I was reading that you can flash the stock Asus firmware onto this unit, so I you may be able to use other firmware as well.

Sprint wifi connect router.jpg

866-275-1411 is the number I called, but this is number of the dept I talked to, (866) 556-7310, it's Airrave Support.
You have to have a WiFi Calling enabled device on your account.
Just tell them that you would like a WiFi Connect device for your home.

I think you can get the same router from T-Mobile as well. But T-Mo's router has a proprietary firmware that locks you out of loading a 3rd party firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT. Not a big deal for most, but I wonder if this one is locked down as well.

People are replacing the T-Mobile firmware, and have been for the past, what, year or so since it's been offered?

1 source, from as early as 2014 - How to flash other firmware on the T-Mobile Cellspot WiFi router - Pocketables

Great routers but I've been able to bog one down with 10 devices attached.

For free it's super badass and fast enough but if you want a much better one the AC68U or Nighthawk is the way to go.

The T-Mo "Cellspot" is the AC68U. But it's also no longer free. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I got my R7000 nighthawk for $80 on a Walmart miss price. If you can get a 68U for the same price is recommend that instead.

866-275-1411 is the number I called, but this is number of the dept I talked to, (866) 556-7310, it's Airrave Support.
You have to have a WiFi Calling enabled device on your account.
Just tell them that you would like a WiFi Connect device for your home.

This just worked for me, thank you fine sir :D

Back