Sprint Set To Throttle Unlimited Data Hogs

I regularly hit 5gb / mo, and I'm pretty vigilant about switching to wifi at home. That's primarily Web browsing with almost no streaming video, beyond a few short YouTube clips here and there.

Some people just use mobile data as a replacement for a home connection.

Good god. And here I am using most of mine and my wife's 2gb shared and thinking I should use it less haha

Mine is not an unlimited plan either, however I don't pay for it. Most of my use comes from work, lots and LOTS of emails, every single one with an attachment, then huge PDFs from dropbox etc etc.

When I lived in BFE Oklahoma a few years ago with my wife and kids, the best internet we could get was 4G, thankfully a mile from the antenna. I averaged 50GB and maxed almost 100GB per month playing online, streaming, etc., but thankfully we were and still are grandfathered into Verizon and I have an unlocked phone for wifi hotspot :D

Lol, I had Sprint in California, it is the absolute worst carrier in California, Nevada and Arizona. Had it since WiMax and their so-called 4G LTE, and before you say "oh you were just in a spotty area", bullshit. I travel alot in SoCal and when I went to Nevada/Arizona, SPRINT SUCKS. That is all.

Funny. Because I grew up in Norcal and visit the parents often.

T-Mobile, in 2015, still has a deadzone where my parents live.

Verizon drops calls often

and Sprint's 3G is faster than Verizon.

The tone of your reply (HURR DURR BUT MY EXPERIENCE IS WHAT EVERYONE ELSE'S SHOULD BE) is exactly why I said "Just because your connection sucks doesn't mean everyone else's should, too."

Funny. Because I grew up in Norcal and visit the parents often.

T-Mobile, in 2015, still has a deadzone where my parents live.

Verizon drops calls often

and Sprint's 3G is faster than Verizon.

The tone of your reply (HURR DURR BUT MY EXPERIENCE IS WHAT EVERYONE ELSE'S SHOULD BE) is exactly why I said "Just because your connection sucks doesn't mean everyone else's should, too."

You are the one who is saying "HURR DURR SPRINT WORKS PERFECTLY FOR ME SO IT WORKS EVERYWHERE FOR EVERYONE!" I lived in Norcal in the past 2 years and I have NEVER had Verizon drop a single call or ever not have service, even in the middle of nowhere. Sprint is shit in most areas, stop trying to gloss over that just because it works in your specific areas. Nobody cares about 3G either, I haven't seen it for more than a few minutes in really remote areas.

23 gigabytes enough to stream all 5 season of Game of Thrones?

I would consider 700 megabytes / episode poor quality, which would add up to roughly 35 gigabytes, if each season has 10 episodes... I guess it all depends what res, quality, codec, etc.

lol wut? 700 cant be considered high quality but certainly not low quality...

Hitting 30gb a month while heavily streaming video isn't hard at all.

You keep telling anyone who says anything about Sprint coverage sucking that they are an exception and that Sprint coverage is actually great.

Whatever lies you have to tell yourself to justify your trolling, kiddo.

I'm providing a counter point that Sprint coverage and service *CAN* be good for some people and that it's not universally shit like some people want to claim.

NOWHERE have I said that because my coverage is good (or in your troll speak: works perfectly) it is good for everyone else as well.

Really, you're a bit old to be playing childish games. Stop lying about what other people say.

I was in a position where I had to use my service with sprint as my internet connection... Man that evo hated me, 54GB was the lowest I had in a month and that was limited by speed. My home connection I maintain 350-400gb a month pretty easy. There is a whole bunch of interwebs out there I must find!!!

Thats about the same here. Went thru a rough time last year and had to cut the cable to save on expenses. I ate up about 100 gig on the cell and now that I'm back on real internets I average about 300 gig a month.

In my situation/usage I would need about 100 gig per month ( if I had to absolutely cut back ). Prefer 300 gig a month. Lots of stuff to do on the interwebs......

I think I did 120MB last month, I don't use my phone for much except playing the odd game when bored, and texting/calling. And when I'm at home/work it automatically latches onto the wifi. I very quickly decided that paying $20 more per month for unlimited was very much not worth it, the guy at the store still tried to keep me on "that price you have was a limited time only, if you want to go back you'll pay the full price" that's fine, I've already saved $40/month between my wife & my phones (once I convinced her to turn wifi on), $480/year in my pocket is much better than "what if I need all that data"

This is what I'm getting via tether on Sprint from work.

4697371125.png

The FCC speedtest on my phone reports MUCH lower.

Though that could just be shitty coverage at home.

ADDENDUM

Okay, the Ookla speedtest on my phone comes back around 3x the speed of FCC test at my house.

The thing is, the Ookla speedtest can be "gamed".

You keep telling anyone who says anything about Sprint coverage sucking that they are an exception and that Sprint coverage is actually great.

On average sprint is bad, but if you're in an area well covered by spark it can be very good. The problem is most places you're lucky to get 2 Mbps down, which isn't as good as some companies 3G speeds. Sprint has a lot of work to do. That said, I've gotta say that streaming 30 or 40 GB/month is a lot. You pretty much have to live your life on your phone away from home to use that much. I know when I'm at home, I only use WiFi. Then again, I can't imagine watching a movie on my phone, unless I was stuck in an airport...but I'm on sprint, so streaming a movie on my phone is impossible in most places ;)

ADDENDUM

Okay, the Ookla speedtest on my phone comes back around 3x the speed of FCC test at my house.

The thing is, the Ookla speedtest can be "gamed".

Gamed? Have an example? Its not that I don't believe you, I'm just.curious. Thanks!

Gamed? Have an example? Its not that I don't believe you, I'm just.curious. Thanks!

ISPs have been known to intentionally bump someone's provisioned speed when traffic is detected to be coming from the Speedtest site.

ISPs have been known to intentionally bump someone's provisioned speed when traffic is detected to be coming from the Speedtest site.

That's alright.. I mean the majority of people who use speedtest sites do so to stroke their own ego and see how big their ePeniz is, so what's a little lying by measuring from the back of the balls :D

understood. Thanks!

Its funny that you say this... usually I do 1 and 2 tests here and there and stop.. always getting around 30mbps.. yesterday I did 5 and the first 2 were 30 and the last 3 were 60... Not if this had anything to do with it but I only have a 55mbps connection. /shrug

It's funny.

Back when I was having ping issues on FiOS I started latency monitoring using DSL Reports ping service where it pings you ever 15 minutes and tracks it on a chart.

Would you know, I suddenly started pinging better to all the game servers I play on after starting it.

After that I would just start 2 week ping tests every couple of weeks, and never have a problem :p

Back