sprint palm pre or HTC HERO ?

CyberJunk

Supreme [H]ardness
can't decide should i get a Palm pre for $200 or HTC HERO for $279 ???

I like the Pre experience better, but it's a MUCH more delicate device. For the record, I had the Pre and went to the Hero, kind of regret it now.

I like the Pre experience better, but it's a MUCH more delicate device. For the record, I had the Pre and went to the Hero, kind of regret it now.

I did the same thing. Then I sold the Hero and now waiting for the Supersonic which is rumored to release in March. Pre is better than Hero IMO.

i like the pre and the web os better than android HTC

like i feel ike the HTC HEro needs beefier hardware then it would be better than the pre
or the pre is jus really awesome at multitasking

Iam getting the pre.

IMHO, WebOS is *the* ideal mobile OS. It's quick, multitasks PERFECTLY, browsing, mail, and calendar are just superb, it's stable... Unfortunately, the hardware just annoys the crap out of me. The Pre, IMHO, I gave up on, but the Pre 2 or whatever they come up with next for Sprint will be my next phone, for sure.

I'm trying to get by cheap on Verizon with essentially the same decision: Palm Pre Plus or Droid Eris. Which one do you guys think is better?

Essentially the same hardware as on the Sprint side, so the arguments will be the same. I like the Pre a lot better, but try both for yourself.

the pre plus has more storage, (16gb), and you can also use it a hot spot.

Using it as a hot spot = $40 extra per month...yikes.

I had a Droid, and it was great. I liked it a lot. I'm concerned about the battery life of both devices (pre plus/droid eris).

Ummm, maybe it's $40/month from Verizon, but any custom ROM will get you hotspot capability on the Hero, and it's an easy homebrew app for the Pre on Sprint.

As for the Pre's storage, we're talking Sprint not Verizon, so the Pre will have 8GB, the Hero will have whatever card you put into it, up to 32GB, which is as yet unreleased.

I personally loved the Pre, but since I've been playing with Android 2.1 on the Hero, I have NO issue recommending it. There's no lag, no issues, just an overall SOLID device.

Ummm, maybe it's $40/month from Verizon, but any custom ROM will get you hotspot capability on the Hero, and it's an easy homebrew app for the Pre on Sprint.

As for the Pre's storage, we're talking Sprint not Verizon, so the Pre will have 8GB, the Hero will have whatever card you put into it, up to 32GB, which is as yet unreleased.

I personally loved the Pre, but since I've been playing with Android 2.1 on the Hero, I have NO issue recommending it. There's no lag, no issues, just an overall SOLID device.

It sounds like I can't really go wrong either way. What might tip the balance for me is Skype coming for Android phones while the Pre Plus isn't listed (yet?). That and I noticed that the GPS on the Pre Plus wasn't quite fixed. With an Eris running 2.1 (should be soon), I believe it will get the Navigation app too.

I know I'm talking Verizon, but it's a similar situation with the Pre vs. Hero ;).

Using it as a hot spot = $40 extra per month...yikes.

I had a Droid, and it was great. I liked it a lot. I'm concerned about the battery life of both devices (pre plus/droid eris).

Are you serious? 40 a month for a fuckin hot spot? Wow thats taxing when the speed isnt no where near as fast as a home isp/router, and i dont care about the convenience of having it anywhere .

Are you serious? 40 a month for a fuckin hot spot? Wow thats taxing when the speed isnt no where near as fast as a home isp/router, and i dont care about the convenience of having it anywhere .

That and the device will hit over 100 F degrees. Not to mention the battery drain on an already weak battery.

The price is pretty standard for devices like this. Obviously you can do the same with homebrew apps, etc., until you get caught. $40 only gets you up to a 5GB cap, then you have to pay $1 and change per MB after that. It was a pretty bad deal anyway you looked at it unless you absolutely didn't have a WiFi connection somewhere to get on.

Man, Verizon just loves bending over their customers and breaking out the sandpaper condom, huh?

Edited because my first response could be construed as mean.

Last edited:
personally I have a pre on Sprint and need to use it as a hot spot for work occasionally. When I do it is either plugged in via USB or on my touchstone. I have never just let it drain my battery since I have to be statioary to use my laptop anyway

can't decide should i get a Palm pre for $200 or HTC HERO for $279 ???

Are you buying from a kiosk or sprint store those prices are really high?? If so DONT, go to best buy or radio shack.

Also check out the moment. The screen on the hero is junk compared to the moment and a slide out keyboard can be handy.

Just went from Samsung Instinct to the Palm Pre. Not a bad phone but dont like the how the Google visual voicemail works on it.
So now I just bought a Saamsung Moment off Ebay and will compare the two.
If worse comes to worse I will sell both of them and go back to my Instinct which has the Sprint enahnced voicemail which I really like The Moment is supposed to have the Sprint enhanced voicemail too so Im hoping to use that instead of the Google voicemail.

Just went from Samsung Instinct to the Palm Pre. Not a bad phone but dont like the how the Google visual voicemail works on it.
So now I just bought a Saamsung Moment off Ebay and will compare the two.
If worse comes to worse I will sell both of them and go back to my Instinct which has the Sprint enahnced voicemail which I really like The Moment is supposed to have the Sprint enhanced voicemail too so Im hoping to use that instead of the Google voicemail.

The moment has the sprint visual voicemail as well as the hero.

Tried the Samsung Moment and ended up selling it. Just too big and bulky for me. Everything was fine on it. I just bought a Hero off Ebay so will see how that works. If all else fails back to my trusty Instinct.

Tried the Samsung Moment and ended up selling it. Just too big and bulky for me. Everything was fine on it. I just bought a Hero off Ebay so will see how that works. If all else fails back to my trusty Instinct.

I can tell you that since you already owned a moment the first thing you will notice is the screen quality. On the hero its just pretty bad compared to the sexy amoled on the moment.

Had the wife not already had a moment i may have actually been happy with my hero but getting to see hers and compare side by side i just couldnt get past the screen and keyboard. Plus the moment just feels a tad bit quicker.

I just grabbed a Droid Eris which is comparable to the Hero. I like it so far. Not as fast as the Moto Droid, but still very functional. Since I haven't used a Droid in a while, I forget how much different the screen is.

Back