Sprint now the #1 Android carrier

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Move over T-Mobile, Sprint has just taken the crown for the #1 Android supported carrier. As of this Summer, Sprint is taking the cake for the best Android devices, only T-Mobile has the second best choices, and Verizon has sh!t, and ATT, lol, no.

For high end Android devices, Sprint has;

- EVO 4G
- Epic 4G
- Nexus-S 4G
- EVO-3D ( June 24th )
- Photon 4G ( July / August )
- Galaxy S 2 ( August )
- Nexus-Three with quad core ( December )

And several other lower end Androids as well, I did not list.

Also Sprint is getting the iPhone4S;
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/06/08/sprint-iphone-currently-undergoing-advanced-testing/
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/06/09/will-sprint-customers-pay-extra-to-use-an-iphone/

Last edited:
I think they're pretty comparable with the exception of maybe AT&T.

Most of those phones have other variants/equivalents on other carriers. You can go ahead and take the Nexus 3 and iPhone off that list until it's officially announced too.

And with that, I'm glad I'm not on Sprint because then I couldn't get a Xperia Play right now. Not a flagship phone by any means, but it's got it's own niche that no other phone has and doesn't seem like it's going to be on other carriers for a few months still (which seems like it'll only go to AT&T and/or T-mobile for now).

Really hoping the Galaxy S II comes to Verizon. I was so unhappy to hear the correction of the Engadget article that was posted...

Hooray. :rolleyes: Now if only they'd get around to tending to their stillborn dead-in-the-water WiMAX network.

I for one am hoping the rumors are true that Sprint will get the iPhone. I've been overall unhappy with my Android-powered EVO and it's only gotten worse and worse over time... (battery life, crashes, WiFi issues, loss of settings data, and now I cannot use either camera) while I've been happy with my iPad and Touch (even if I have to pay for apps that are free on android)

Really hoping the Galaxy S II comes to Verizon. I was so unhappy to hear the correction of the Engadget article that was posted...

It's definitely coming to Verizon, it's coming to every carrier. Verizon's variant is call the "Function", Sprint's is "Within", AT&T's is "Attain" and they'll all be pretty much identical to the GS2 we know now. T-Mobile is getting a special variant though called the "Hurcules" though.

As I said before; pretty much all manufacturers are bring different variants of their phones to every carrier. I don't think any carrier has a significantly (key word) better selection of phones right now and it will prolly even out more so over time.

I for one am hoping the rumors are true that Sprint will get the iPhone. I've been overall unhappy with my Android-powered EVO and it's only gotten worse and worse over time... (battery life, crashes, WiFi issues, loss of settings data, and now I cannot use either camera) while I've been happy with my iPad and Touch (even if I have to pay for apps that are free on android)

For me the complete opposite, my EVO 4G is rooted with a great ROM, and I am rock solid stable, NEVER crashing, and super fast and buttery smooth. Coming from an iPhone3G that was terrible, locking up all the time, very choppy and slow. The EVO is night and day better.

To me my Evo is as great a purchase as the nvidia 8800, still great to this day. I think sprint will have the most wellrounded phone selection, the question is whether or not to go with the galaxy S II or wait for the nexus 3.

For me the complete opposite, my EVO 4G is rooted with a great ROM, and I am rock solid stable, NEVER crashing, and super fast and buttery smooth. Coming from an iPhone3G that was terrible, locking up all the time, very choppy and slow. The EVO is night and day better.

Problem is right there.

Coming from a 3g, yeah, i'd expect you'd see a major difference. However, if you compare the EVO to the 4 or even the 3gs, it's really no contest.

I've had both, and honestly, even with UV kernels and alike, I couldn't get the EVO anywhere near an acceptable battery level.

Problem is right there.
Coming from a 3g, yeah, i'd expect you'd see a major difference. However, if you compare the EVO to the 4 or even the 3gs, it's really no contest.
I've had both, and honestly, even with UV kernels and alike, I couldn't get the EVO anywhere near an acceptable battery level.

Second'd

I used a 3GS and currently my touch 4g and have nothing but good experiences while my dads 3G had... Many issues... Along with my older touchs

I've performed every power mod inc the questionable trickle charge kernels and it barely lasts 10 hours with like 10 min of calls and 20 of 3G (unless I want to use my giant 2x battery --- then it's acceptable but it's like carrying a brick in my pocket,,,)

And for me a camera indispensable, so I'm carrying my iPod touch too...

you guys complain about stupid stuff that gets fixed when you rrooted.

load up an AOSP custom rom from Deck and you will notice the phone is totally different.

load up an AOSP custom rom from Deck and you will notice the phone is totally different.

I'm running cyanogen mod 7 with the Tiamat kernel... (in fact cm7 is likely the reason my camera won't work) and the battery life, while it is massively improved from stock, still falls short... I'm sitting here at 50% after just 2 hours of light Internet usage... (though as I said, that's a far cry from what stock would be at)

To be fair, there are plenty of things I don't like about iOS and overall I think a future version of android on a more efficient phone will be a much better choice for me than an iPhone, (I actually prefer androids interface because it is closer to desktop interfaces and gives me more control and access to the filesystem directly) but for now, with what I have available, iOS and the iPhone simply work best for me...

Given a choice, I would take android device any day if not for the problems I've mentioned... iOS is better at battery life and fewer crashes and no hardware issues... I'm sure a future android phone will be just as good or better, but that future is not here yet from what I've seen...

This doesnt sound right. Im on cm7 nightly 95. I live in an area that has no sprint signal, i have zero bars. I have 6 hours on mine with 50% left of battery.

On a stock build my battery is dead in 3 hours because i have no signal and it searches the entire time.

You need to clear cache and reinstall i think. Or go back to a stock build and check your camera, maybe it doesnt work at all.

Head over to xda cm7 threads and check out info there.

I'm running cyanogen mod 7 with the Tiamat kernel... (in fact cm7 is likely the reason my camera won't work) and the battery life, while it is massively improved from stock, still falls short... I'm sitting here at 50% after just 2 hours of light Internet usage... (though as I said, that's a far cry from what stock would be at)

To be fair, there are plenty of things I don't like about iOS and overall I think a future version of android on a more efficient phone will be a much better choice for me than an iPhone, (I actually prefer androids interface because it is closer to desktop interfaces and gives me more control and access to the filesystem directly) but for now, with what I have available, iOS and the iPhone simply work best for me...

Given a choice, I would take android device any day if not for the problems I've mentioned... iOS is better at battery life and fewer crashes and no hardware issues... I'm sure a future android phone will be just as good or better, but that future is not here yet from what I've seen...

Yep, that's precisely what I noticed with the EVO.

There's plenty to love about that phone and Android in general, but battery life isn't one of them, regardless of what ROM you are running (AOSP or Sense based).

I'm not a huge fan of Apple, but their phones/devices are definitely top tier. I'm currently running iOS 5 beta, and it erases most of what I didn't like about iOS and really brings it up to par with many great features in Android.

Battery life is the same as I experienced with 4.x, which means, it's great.

Apparently, you didn't read my post.

I've rooted and installed more custom ROMs than you could ever imagine (both AOSP and Sense based) with stock kernels, UV kernels, OC kernels, OC/UV kernels, it doesn't matter.

End result is the same. Sure, you can get to "better levels of suck" but the battery life sucks just the same.

Apparently, you didn't read my post.

I've rooted and installed more custom ROMs than you could ever imagine (both AOSP and Sense based) with stock kernels, UV kernels, OC kernels, OC/UV kernels, it doesn't matter.

End result is the same. Sure, you can get to "better levels of suck" but the battery life sucks just the same.

I agree with your point, but these new Android phones coming out this Summer running 2.3 are supposed to have much improved battery life.

The EVO-3D they say has SIGNIFICANTLY better battery than the EVO 4G. And the Galaxy S2 I have also read has very good battery life.

I agree with your point, but these new Android phones coming out this Summer running 2.3 are supposed to have much improved battery life.

The EVO-3D they say has SIGNIFICANTLY better battery than the EVO 4G. And the Galaxy S2 I have also read has very good battery life.

I'm sure they both will be excellent phones, much improved probably across the board.

I'm also curious to see what Apple does as well this next round.

I'm not a brand whore, so, better phones from everyone is a bonus for all of us.

I'm sure they both will be excellent phones, much improved probably across the board.

I'm also curious to see what Apple does as well this next round.

I'm not a brand whore, so, better phones from everyone is a bonus for all of us.

I think the iPhone6 coming in Spring 2012, will be the MAJOR improvement, and the one to get, the iPhone5 due in Sept/Oct looks to just be a minor refresh, nothing radically different. All rumors point to the i6 being the BIG upgrade.

For now the best phones this summer, will be the Galaxy S2 and EVO-3D.

I have an EVO 4G, but I doubt sprint will hold this title for very long. Big red will be coming back along here shortly...

This doesnt sound right. Im on cm7 nightly 95. I live in an area that has no sprint signal, i have zero bars. I have 6 hours on mine with 50% left of battery.
On a stock build my battery is dead in 3 hours because i have no signal and it searches the entire time.
You need to clear cache and reinstall i think. Or go back to a stock build and check your camera, maybe it doesnt work at all.
Head over to xda cm7 threads and check out info there.

Well, I'm not on the lates build so that could explain the camera... sure I'll check on XDA, the CM7 forums are LESS than useless...

+1 :D

I'm waiting to see what happens with the Evo-3D, I have my doubts about it but I hope I'm wrong, after all, battery life notwithstanding, I'm quite impressed with the EVO-4G's hardware...

I'm waiting to see what happens with the Evo-3D, I have my doubts about it but I hope I'm wrong, after all, battery life notwithstanding, I'm quite impressed with the EVO-4G's hardware...

I recall reading recently on some of the Android sites, that they keep mentioning the EVO-3D improved battery life. It comes with the largest stock battery to begin with, something like 1750mh, and the dual core + Gingerbread are supposed to be much more efficient, using less resources, and HTC designed a better Kernel out of the gate. Add all that together and that's why the early reviews are confident of the better battery life.

Sprint iPhone in advanced testing
http://www.9to5mac.com/71341/sprint-iphone-in-advanced-testing/

Sources tell 9to5Mac that a version of the iPhone for Sprint’s network is currently in advanced testing. The physical design of this device is akin to the iPhone 4 of today, so this might be the iPhone 4S device with support for all carriers that we have been dreaming up and hearing whispers about. Apple have ordered Sprint-compatible cell towers for use on their campus – for testing – in late 2010. Apple similarly tested the Verizon iPhone against Verizon cell towers on their campus months before the product’s release.

Back