Sprint Mobile Broadband and MMORPG games

Starrfoxx

Weaksauce
My family and I are planning to be on the move soon, and I was looking for wireless internet options. Sprint Broadband seems like a good choice for only $60 a month. The USB device can be used on a desktop and laptop, which I like:

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=SWC597DORA

I know very little about wireless internet though. The service allows a max of 5gb a month on network and 300mb off network. Is this sufficient for playing MMORPG's once in awhile (not every day)?

Also, can a router be hooked up to this somehow? My wife and I have computers, so it would be nice to share this between the two so we can play games together.

The latency may be too high depending on how far you are from the tower, but I know people who have an do use mobile broadband for just such a purpose. It is doable without any extra configuration, but again latency (and possible disconnects if you are moving in a vehicle) will be an issue.

There are routers they make for mobile broadband cards. They aren't cheap and you may have to go through your carrier to get one. You may be better off using ICS and a crossover cable to share the mobile broadband. beware of patches however, they can easily gobble up your quota and this overages are out the nose I hear.

edit: you'll want something like this:
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2455/64/

I play World of Warcraft, Second Life, and Guildwars on Sprint's Mobile Broadband (But I only pay $35/mo and have truely unlimited Data - _NO_ caps on OR off network, unless that's for multiple phones you're getting ripped)

Keep in mind, when playing MMOGs of any kind, all that's X-fered is a series of co-ordinates that tells the server where you are, and it responds with co-ordinates of where everything else is. Then a single string of code per round of a fight.

Overall you're looking at probably less than 1kb/s of transfer, so you could play a LONG time before getting anywhere near that 5gb quota. However updates are another story, WoW has send me updates topping 500mb at times...

If you get a PCMCIA card instead of USB you can buy a router for it cheep off Ebay, but if you get a USB dongle or a phone you're gonna have to use ICS (I'm actually trying to find a way to share my cellular data connection with my 3 PCs, I *think* you can set it up to use ICS and WiFi on the main PC to broadcast to everyone on the network, but I could be wrong)

On a side note, if you go with a phone, make sure you have Bluetooth so you can charge the phone while you use Data, otherwise you'll get maybe 2-3 hours of power from the phone if your LUCKY.

that router i posted can use usb cellular modems as well as cardbus and express card (for the models that support a cardbus to express card adapter).

Hows the latency for you ashton?

as long as I get a good signal (2+ bars) I have good latency (dont remember the acctual # since the only game that displays it is WoW and i've not played it in ages, but it was usually green or yellow, except on a really crowded server) though I have played with as little as no bars (just the "antennia" icon) and had insane latency and it still worked as long as I stayed out of combat. lol I hat over 30second latency using verizon! (though that was 1xRTT with 0-1 bars) not had any real problems on any mmogs though with 2+ bars (I acctually get 5-7 bars where I use it usually (never seen a phone that displays that many bars before...))

and I apologize, I did not look at the link bc I use my cellphone and knew that wasn't an option.

Is a wireless router such as the one in the link above necessary to hook up other computers? Can one computer have the internet hooked up with the USB modem, and then the computer be hooked up via ethernet cables to a regular Linksys router and from there to other computers?

We already have ethernet cables, a router, and cable modem. I'm trying to avoid having to buy wireless devices for all the computers to go through Sprint Mobile Broadband, if that's possible.

My line of thinking is that one computer has the Sprint Mobile Broadband hooked up to it, and the other computers are networked to it via ethernet and a router.

In theory this will work using the built-in windows ICS (internet connection sharing) though if not you can always set up a proxie server (Analog ProxyX or XProxy (cant remember the name)) is a good, free proxy that will forward HTTP, POP, SMTP, and I think 1 or 2 other types of data. I've done what your saying using 2 PCs and a cellphone and ethernet cable (had to use the proxy server though, not ICS, because it was a WM smartphone that was already proxy'd using PDAnet...) However, of course, the games have to have proxy support and I am unfamiliar with whether they do or not...

I'd highly suggest a router from Cradlepoint (I have the MBR1000 and love it) and buying it and your card through 3Gstore.

Back