Sprint: Evo, Galaxy, or wait?

My current phone (HTC Touch Pro) is annoyingly flaky. I'm off contract, so I can get the "fake phone discount" if necessary.

Should I get an evo, a galaxy, or wait for future android / Windows phones?

Honestly? You can pick up an EVO off craigslist or a forum for $250, and keep your upgrade for June, when the new EVOs in the lineup come out. That's your best bet.

Thanks a lot - I think that's what I'll do. Is the Evo Shift a terrible idea? I see the Galaxy / Epic doesn't have even a jailbreaked version of 2.3 available yet, so I take it that phone is not ideal?

you've had a Touch Pro for this long?
I had my keyboard stop working 7 times, after 7 replacements I was moved to the Palm Pre, which never messed up but since then went to the Samsung Moment, biggest regret of my life
my vote is for the Epic 4G

(as for the Shift, already has a lot of problems)

If you will root and rom: epic. Trust me. You will need it.

If you're not going to root and rom: evo shift

Stay the hell away from the transform. Its sole purpose of existance is to push the epic.

Actually, I'd go with the Shift over the Epic in almost any way possible. HOWEVER, if you're buying off contract, head over to the XDA forums and pick up an EVO for $250-300 and have that hold you off until June.

The Shift is the Sprint version of the Tmobile G2, but the EVO is tried and true, plus it's cheaper.

*facepalm* Yes, go to the store and get the phone that doesn't exist yet. Genius!

you've had a Touch Pro for this long?
Yeah...I burned out the charging circuit by using the wireless & cellular radios at the same time twice, and now the power button is going flaky on me. :/

Hrm...I'm definitely going to install a custom ROM regardless of the phone.

Actually, I'd go with the Shift over the Epic in almost any way possible. HOWEVER, if you're buying off contract, head over to the XDA forums and pick up an EVO for $250-300 and have that hold you off until June.
Hrm...the shift is only slightly more expensive on ebay, but it looks like you get a less powerful cpu...

Thanks a lot to everyone for the feedback!

Last edited:
The Shift uses the 2nd gen Snapdragon. It's actually faster, with a better GPU, and uses less power.

Hrm...I'm definitely going to install a custom ROM regardless of the phone.

I think what he's getting is that it is almost impossible to hard brick a Galaxy S.

Along with that you get an awesome screen, fast cpu and gpu, and absolutely craptacular gps, software and support. Fortunately there is XDA.

I think what he's getting is that it is almost impossible to hard brick a Galaxy S.

Along with that you get an awesome screen, fast cpu and gpu, and absolutely craptacular gps, software and support. Fortunately there is XDA.

Not only that, but the stock Eclair and official Froyo are a joke. Touchwiz also makes my inner child cry.

As for custom ROMs, the latest batch at XDA have some sweet improvements on battery life in addition to performance.

The EVOs will be the EVO 3D (EVO2), and the Flyer (EVO Tablet). Look for all three around mid summer, though the 3D should drop in early June, like every other Sprint flagship.

I have both an EVO and the Epic and the Epic is far superior to the EVO in every way. HD video from the camera is garbage on the EVO, and beautiful on the Epic. The Epic is much faster too. The Galaxy S II would be something to look out for also.

If I were you, I'd stay away from Samsung, period. Since you're installing your own roms, the Epic isn't that bad of a choice, just don't expect any kind of help from Samsung. You would be better off buying an Epic off of ebay or the XDA forums. I might sound pretty negative, but I hate Samsung's phone division with a passion.

Im just gonna put my vote in for wait. Unless you just want to grab a cheap EVO online somewhere.
IMO the Epic is nice, but screw the slide out qwerty. HTC all the way!

Back