Sprint Cutting Unlimited 4G Data Plans

If that's the case, the US infrastructure sucks.

Lets just be completely clear.

There isnt enough cellular bandwidth to do this. Its a finite resource. Everyone is getting this idea in their head that with a 4G cell plan you can somehow magically cut a dedicated premises internet connection. Its not going ot happen anytime in the near future. Sure some technological survialists will be able to live on OTA only, but for the vast majority of us, we arent geting rid of dedicated home lines anytime soon. Not physically possible

eventually they going to limit their data plan of their so called 4g that is really like a 2.5g data speed

To those who just assumed this was going against the sprint smart phones as well without actually reading the first paragraph...

Sprint said it would impose monthly data caps on plans for all tablets, laptops, netbooks, USB and PC Card modems, and mobile hotspot devices. Data will also be capped for Mobile Hotspot plans that let subscribers connect other devices to the network through a smartphone

Gave me a bit of a scare for a second cause I'm planning on switching to sprint as soon as the new androids come to market in a couple weeks. I'd hate to get locked into a 2 year agreement only for them to cap it without grandfathering.

However, Sprint will continue to offer its plans for unlimited data use on phones, including on the Apple iPhone...

***sorry, can't edit previous post.... wanted to add this part too...

If that's the case, the US infrastructure sucks.

Did you eat paint chips as a child? The ELECTROMAGNETIC SPECTRUM used for wireless is a FINITE RESOURCE. You cant just pump the air full of data, there are very hard physics limits at play. Has absolutely nothing to physical infrastructure.

It's not an old plan. I just joined Verizon in December. They had a promotion (which was supposedly regional) which gave you 600 (1400 on family plan), unlimited text, unlimited data, and 5 (10 for family plan) Friends and Family for $69 and $139 respectively After looking at my plan detail, I saw that I was given the 1400 minutes and unlimited text for $110 with the $9 line add on, they took $20 off the data so I only pay $9.99 on each line for unlimited data...FTW if you ask me..lol

Holy fuck people pay way too much for cellphone service.

Gave me a bit of a scare for a second cause I'm planning on switching to sprint as soon as the new androids come to market in a couple weeks. I'd hate to get locked into a 2 year agreement only for them to cap it without grandfathering.

At this point, they can't afford to cap their data plans because there would be a mass exodus. If they change the terms of your contract, you have 30 days to cancel for every line of service affected. Plus you get to keep the phone. If they cancelled unlimited data now, they would lose a lot of the EVO 4G subscribers from June 2010.

If they were going to cancel unlimited data on smart phones, they would have done it on all new contracts before launching the iphone. They can't really do that though because their only draw for iphone users is the unlimited data plan. So their only option is to cancel unlimited data on all non-smart phone devices in the hopes that this will free up network resources.

None of this is going to help them though. Data usage is going through the roof for all carriers. My bet is that by June when all the Evo 4G contracts expire, they will be forced to drop unlimited data on new contracts. Their selling point to all the people with expiring contacts will be that Sprint's data plans are still the cheapest.

Holy fuck people pay way too much for cellphone service.

Agreed..lol...but I turned off home phone service because, frankly, everyone still called my cell, so to me it was worth it. In the next couple of months tho, I am going with VoIP in my house but since I have the sweet data deal, I can't cut down minutes..:eek:

Holy fuck im too cheap for cellphone service.

fixed for ya

whats too cheap or too expensive is only relevant to the person paying for it. Perhaps when you are out eating with people you comment on how much you think something is disgusting right after someone orders it?

I pay $140/mo for two phones with Verizon, 700 min shared, 500 texts and unlimited 4G data, two smartphones of course...and im perfectly happy with it

fixed for ya

whats too cheap or too expensive is only relevant to the person paying for it. Perhaps when you are out eating with people you comment on how much you think something is disgusting right after someone orders it?

I pay $140/mo for two phones with Verizon, 700 min shared, 500 texts and unlimited 4G data, two smartphones of course...and im perfectly happy with it

No need to be a douche about it by changing the words you quoted to mean something other than what I intended.

I pay $43/mo for a phone with Virgin, 1200 minutes, unlimited text and data. Only reason I bothered is because it was cheaper than my contract voice only plan on Sprint. If you wanna moan about Virgin's spotty coverage, you could always do Simple Mobile which is set on top of TMobile. It covers less, but where it does cover it covers well. $40/mo unlimited voice, text and data at 3g, $60/mo for unlimited voice, text and data at 4g.

So yeah, contract (aka postpaid) is way overpriced for what service you actually get... considering it's still the same set of towers in the end.

No need to be a douche about it by changing the words you quoted to mean something other than what I intended.

I pay $43/mo for a phone with Virgin, 1200 minutes, unlimited text and data. Only reason I bothered is because it was cheaper than my contract voice only plan on Sprint. If you wanna moan about Virgin's spotty coverage, you could always do Simple Mobile which is set on top of TMobile. It covers less, but where it does cover it covers well. $40/mo unlimited voice, text and data at 3g, $60/mo for unlimited voice, text and data at 4g.

So yeah, contract (aka postpaid) is way overpriced for what service you actually get... considering it's still the same set of towers in the end.

you made my point, thanks for playing

no harm meant, only to say I am happy with the service I get for the price I pay, and I don't ask anyone else to pay it or what they think about it. I get "unlimited" broadband on my mobile thats faster than most peoples' home broadband included in that price. (even though I pay $60/mo for 20mbps home broadband despite that fact)

Talk about a sensationalist title and a bunch of drones screaming about an article they did not read. Phones still have unlimited data.

Talk about a sensationalist title and a bunch of drones screaming about an article they did not read. Phones still have unlimited data.

yes but this is the beginning of the end for unlimited data on sprint on all devices, make no mistake

i think it's pretty likely that, at this point in time, it's not technologically possible to offer true unlimited service to every device. i just hope that, by giving up unlimited data right now, we're not creating a situation where this can never change. once true 4g takes hold and data is much more plentiful, will companies change the pricing to reflect this? doesn't sound like what business usually does...

So glad we didn't switch to another provider and still have my grandfathered unlimited with AT&T.

Back