Sprint cut your bill in Half - AT&T and Verizon customers only

radeon962

[H]ard|Gawd
How in the hell can they afford this or are plans really that far out of whack?

If nothing else I'm going to stop by Sprint to see what they can do for my 8 phone, 30GB Family Share Plan on AT&T and give AT&T a call to see if they can sweeten my plan to keep me.

I've got no phones on contract so that helps.

https://halfprice.sprint.com/?ECID=vanity:halfprice

What is Sprint Launching?

Effective 12/05/2014, available for limited time only, Sprint is introducing the Cut Your Bill in Half Event for Verizon and AT&T customers who are interested in switching to Sprint.

How it works:

Beginning Friday, Dec. 5, Verizon and AT&T customers switching to Sprint need to follow these simple steps to take advantage of this limited-time offer:

Visit sprint.com/halfprice to upload a copy of your current bill.

Bring a copy of your latest bill and all of the phones on your Verizon or AT&T account to turn in to your Sprint store.

A Sprint representative will select the service plan that most closely matches the data allowance in your current monthly rate plan.

Get your new phone with one of our leasing options, Sprint Easy PaySM installment billing, or pay full retail price for the device and we will waive your activation fee at $36/line.

Customers also may take advantage of the Cut Your Bill in Half Event via Sprint.com. For more information visit www.sprint.com/halfprice.

I wouldn't use Sprint again even if it was free.

This++

When I switched to Verizon from Sprint, my bill actually went DOWN $20/month :eek:

Up until now, Sprint service has been VASTLY overpriced considering how bad it is. When I told the idiot in the Sprint Store February that I was leaving, he didn't even try to stop me because they had no reasonably-priced plans that accurately reflected their shitty service.

But now that I've seen what a real 4G network can do, I'm perfectly happy paying the $165/month. I would not pay more than $50/month for two lines on that crap network, so "half" is still too much.

so Sprint wants to take over my Verizon UDP?
Highly doubtful, considering they would have to go to ~$35 rofl

Sprints new CEO basically said out service and speeds suck so we can only compete with pricing. I guess this is their plan for a holiday push

so Sprint wants to take over my Verizon UDP?
Highly doubtful, considering they would have to go to ~$35 rofl

Paying $60 for Verizon UDP. Wonder what their response will be for people like us but their service wouldn't be useful even if it was free. Smart that they take away people's devices up front so it'll be hard to switch back once you find out how bad Sprint service is.

I went from sprint to nextel back in the day, i was SOOOO goddamn mad they got bought by sprint. Now i'm on cricket. Its pretty good price 55 a month for 10 gig/unlimited text/voice. Extra gigs are 10$ a gig though i've never gone over.

I went from sprint to nextel back in the day, i was SOOOO goddamn mad they got bought by sprint. Now i'm on cricket. Its pretty good price 55 a month for 10 gig/unlimited text/voice. Extra gigs are 10$ a gig though i've never gone over.

My wife and myself are both on Cricket with unlocked Google Nexus 5s. I have the 10 gig plan and she has the 3 gig plan and we pay 94 a month out the door. I can tether and talk/text as much as I want. They use ATT for their last mile coverage so the signal is fantastic. However their back end network is NOT ATT. They have their own internet connectivity and they kind of suck. Definately not as fast as ATT, probably on par with Sprint bandwitdh wise. The most I've yet to see is 8Gbps which isn't amazing. But again because of ATT last mile the service is very reliable.

The 50% plans prices don't include phone costs. I suspect this won't save some people much money at all once you factor in not getting a subsidized phone. Unless someone is already on a AT&T plan that was BYOD.

I pay $50/month for unlimited everything and no throttling on Sprint. And it includes phone subsidies in that $50. They should bring back something like this for new people, make it easy and clear in the marketing. I think Sprint is confusing the shit out of people with all new and and rules every 2 or 3 months now.

Last edited:
My wife and myself are both on Cricket with unlocked Google Nexus 5s. I have the 10 gig plan and she has the 3 gig plan and we pay 94 a month out the door. I can tether and talk/text as much as I want. They use ATT for their last mile coverage so the signal is fantastic. However their back end network is NOT ATT. They have their own internet connectivity and they kind of suck. Definately not as fast as ATT, probably on par with Sprint bandwitdh wise. The most I've yet to see is 8Gbps which isn't amazing. But again because of ATT last mile the service is very reliable.

Cricket is owned by ATT. it uses AT&T's towers, and is hard-capped at 8mbps (LTE)

EDIT: they use a proxy to throttle/slow down the connection, could introduce more latency in your data

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1838750-Understanding-the-proxy-server

still, with AT&T's spectrum crunch, 8mbps is probably close to what you can max out anyways for now

I use sprint towers via republic wireless and its worked very well in grand rapids and all the way to north carolina when i visited family for thanksgiving. $12 a month after taxes, however ive been around the block and verizon seems to have the best coverage so results may vary.

When i tried tmobile it worked fantastic in California and was terrible in Michigan.

I wouldn't use Sprint again even if it was free.

I agree 100%. Sprint is horrible in my area, Los Angeles County, Orange County, Venture County, San Bernadino County, Riverside County, SPRINT IS BAD COUNTY WIDE in California. Sprint representatives are totally unaware of how bad the service is, all they say is " We are upgrading the towers in your area, soon you will get far superior speeds ". Shit yeah right, I heard that same shit back in the WiMax days.

is that unlimited 4G LTE or just limited 4G LTE with unlimited slower data?

3GB at full speed, unlimited after that at 2G-3G. I typically use 1.8-2.3GB per month, so it's working great for my needs.

3GB at full speed, unlimited after that at 2G-3G. I typically use 1.8-2.3GB per month, so it's working great for my needs.

Cool. That's a good price, unfortunately I use about 10GB of 4G LTE on my t-mobile and my significant other uses 13-15GB of 4G LTE on her iPhone 6.....We pay $30 extra per line for unlimited 4G. Still cheaper than the serviceless we had with Sprint and their serviceless unlimited 4G on the only serviceless unlimited 4G network.

Cool. That's a good price, unfortunately I use about 10GB of 4G LTE on my t-mobile and my significant other uses 13-15GB of 4G LTE on her iPhone 6.....We pay $30 extra per line for unlimited 4G. Still cheaper than the serviceless we had with Sprint and their serviceless unlimited 4G on the only serviceless unlimited 4G network.

Yours is a case where I would say to stay away from a 2nd-string provider such as Straight Talk. Sure, you could purchase extra data every month, but is that saving you anything compared to what you pay now? Maybe, maybe not...

Sprint 4G has more coverage than T-Mobile's, but both lack coverage in comparison to AT&T and Verizon's. The issue with Sprint is its 3G is just slow, whereas T-Mobile's 3G is still ~20 Mbps. Until Sprint covers all its areas with 4G (like Verizon has blanketing their CDMA network), this 3G problem will stay. And the FCC's delay of the 600MHz auction only made things worse for Sprint and T-Mobile.

Sprint 4G has more coverage than T-Mobile's.

That's what Sprint representatives told me, guess what? I rarely received 4G on my S3 and my wifes iPhone 5S.

What's the point in having "coverage" when you can't use it...lol

Unless they improved dramatically within the last 3 months, then I doubt that, considering in area where I work and travel, did not get 4G LTE with Sprint, but am getting 4G LTE with T-Mobile. I get 4G LTE with T-Mobile everywhere I go so far, and it's far superior in buildings.

I was with Sprint since the WiMax days, rarely got WiMax with my Evo 4G.

I was with sprint for about 8 years. Very patient with them the last 2 years waiting and waiting for the promised upgrade in data speeds until I finally gave up and back in December 2012, I joined a family plan on Verizon with 3 other family members. We share a pool of data of 30 gbs per month. I use the bulk of it averaging about 10-15 gbs per month.

Anyway, I looked at this deal thinking, hmm, that's not so bad. I work here in Ontario, CA and my coworker has a LG G2 on sprint whereas I have my LG G3. According to sprint's coverage map, we should be well covered in LTE goodness (not spark mind you, that's a little further west of here). Anyway, I ran a speed test on her phone hoping to see good news with regards to where sprint was these days and I got a whopping 1.5 mbs down and almost nothing up. The 2nd time I ran the test, it crashed saying network communication issues. :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Compare that to the 20mbs down I average here on my G3 on Verizon. Sorry Sprint, thanks but no thanks. That's just terrible. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.........

My wife & I were thinking about going with this deal in order to reduce our current bill from Verizon & gain some good new phones. I've had headaches for years with how VZW does their network plan pricing & crappy promos.

Is this a bad move? Would T-Mobile be the better choice over Sprint? The caveat is that we want to lower our bill, so T-Mobile doesn't resolve that issue at the moment.

My wife & I were thinking about going with this deal in order to reduce our current bill from Verizon & gain some good new phones. I've had headaches for years with how VZW does their network plan pricing & crappy promos

My wife switched over from Verizon to Pageplus and cut her bill by over half. Same network. I'm probably going to do the same when my contract runs out.

I just looked at Pageplus plans... It doesn't look any cheaper than Verizon Edge plans. So what plan did you get?

I'm dropping mine more than half by switching to cricket. I'm fine with 8Mbps LTE caps because I'm barely getting that now with Verizon.

If I had heard about this sooner I may have considered the switch to sprint but given their coverage in my area I don't think I would make that leap.

Am I the only satisfied Sprint customer here? Good coverage in town and speeds have been getting good with the Spark rollout. ~20Mbits/sec at home and ~3 at the office. Good enough for basic browsing and streaming audio at work. Somewhat shocking it's that quick at work given the relative density of office buildings.

Maybe if you're stationary and are lucky to be within range of one of their few towers that isn't over-provisioned then it's tolerable but most people commute and need gapless consistent service. When I had sprint I had to be hugging the window at work and standing outside my residence to get a semi-usable 4G signal.

Where I am, Sprint got it going fairly well with Spark 800MHz in building coverage. The in building coverage only got good about a year or two ago. There are locations in town where even Verizon guys don't get signal and I would have 4G, but there are lots more where is the other way around. Even TMo is pretty nice here too. But the problem really is when I travel. I have a Verizon mifi for this purpose. I also had a phone on straight talk (at&t) before the divorce, so I do know about all 4 major carriers.

Maybe if you're stationary and are lucky to be within range of one of their few towers that isn't over-provisioned then it's tolerable but most people commute and need gapless consistent service. When I had sprint I had to be hugging the window at work and standing outside my residence to get a semi-usable 4G signal.

I've manage to drive from Maine to PA (Hershey), DC, and NY (Watkins Glen) with almost no drops in service while my kid was watching Netflix in the back of the car the whole time. Also spent a lot of time in Boston, not really any problems. It certainly wasn't 4G the whole time however I found it work plenty well enough when travelling in the Northeast.

My biggest problem with Sprint is how poorly the service is at re-establishing a decent connection after dropping 3G or going into roaming. I can walk from my house to Dunkin Donuts streaming the whole time over 3G. I lose connection in Dunkin Donuts. When I come out of Dunkin Donuts is gets stuck on 1X (X1?) connection almost the entire way back to my house unless I toggle airplane mode.

My biggest problem with Sprint is how poorly the service is at re-establishing a decent connection after dropping 3G or going into roaming. I can walk from my house to Dunkin Donuts streaming the whole time over 3G. I lose connection in Dunkin Donuts. When I come out of Dunkin Donuts is gets stuck on 1X (X1?) connection almost the entire way back to my house unless I toggle airplane mode.

That sounds like the phone's preference for 1X. What make/model? Maybe look into hidden menu or tool to change that behavior to prefer 4G and 3G over 1X.

That sounds like the phone's preference for 1X. What make/model? Maybe look into hidden menu or tool to change that behavior to prefer 4G and 3G over 1X.

iPhone 6, it doesn't have a lot of options for controlling the cellular connection. My iPhone 5 did the same thing as well.

I find that I had to disable Sprint Network Optimizer to not have a similar problem you do, ocellaris. I don't know if Sprint has an iPhone app/setting for that as well. The Network Optimizer makes my connectivity going from wifi to 2G/3G instead of 4G. I don't think it's as much a "network optimizer for us" but rather "network optimizer for Sprint" in theory. Maybe it should save battery life in theory, but if I have things syncing such as email, that tends to have the opposite effect.

Sprint couldn't pay me to go back to their service. The 3G service was soo slow it wasn't even possible to use more than 2gigs in a month. They take away the unlimited data plan, only to give it to iPhone 6 users only, and you would want to switch back to them? Fucking wish they would just go away all together

They take away the unlimited data plan, only to give it to iPhone 6 users only
And Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note 4 users... "only"

At least that was true during Black Friday. I haven't checked now.

Back