Sprint Acquires a Controlling 50.8% Stake in Clearwire

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sprint Nextel is preparing to take control of Clearwire, one of its investment companies, by backdoor negotiations. Sprint has bought out two other Clearwire investors to gain a majority share of the company. The control of Clearwire was crucial to insure the business transaction with Softbank would continue.

According to reports, Clearwire was a major sticking point in Softbank's recent announcement that it will acquire a 70 percent stake in Sprint for $20.1 billion.

Good news, when my unlimited data is up with Verizon, i can switch to Sprint and have 4g access everywhere I go still.

Good news, when my unlimited data is up with Verizon, i can switch to Sprint and have 4g access everywhere I go still.

Sure about that? Sprint is using the 1900MHz area, Verizon is using the 700c MHz area. The Galaxy S3 compatibility depends on which one you buy, and the Verizon model isn't compatible with Sprint's LTE. Galaxy Nexus has the same limitation. And since Softbank is also using 1900MHz area, they won't be changing that.

You'd get 3G, yes. But LTE is going to be all about different phones for different providers for a while. iPhone 5 is one of the few cross-carrier LTE phones.

they are closing nextel and switching everyone to the sprint push to talks so they can take the 800Mhz range to sprint. I had sprint over here at work yesterday.

Sprint is using the 1900MHz area, Verizon is MISusing the 700c MHz area.

Fixed that for ya. Not allowed to block software on the 700Mhz frequency band. Yet they still lockdown/attempt to lockdown bootloaders on 700Mhz devices.

If you want a less controversial example, see Google Wallet.

Sure about that? Sprint is using the 1900MHz area, Verizon is using the 700c MHz area. The Galaxy S3 compatibility depends on which one you buy, and the Verizon model isn't compatible with Sprint's LTE. Galaxy Nexus has the same limitation. And since Softbank is also using 1900MHz area, they won't be changing that.

You'd get 3G, yes. But LTE is going to be all about different phones for different providers for a while. iPhone 5 is one of the few cross-carrier LTE phones.

Talking about switching in the future, current phones will be garage.

Clearwire is utter and complete trash.

If Softbank is smart they'd flush that entire company down the crapper.

Horrible service, horrible support, they'll say anything to their customers just so they don't have to support them.

If only I could be as successful at backdoor negotiations with the girlfriend.

If only I could be as successful at backdoor negotiations with the girlfriend.

Just a 50.8% stake in her assets?

Seriously though

I sold all my Clearwire stock 1 week before it spiked to +100% at the news of the buyout. I was hating life for a couple of days there.

Clearwire 4G is slow! I was using it for a while because they offer unlimited data and no contracts. On a good day the most i hit was around 1.5Mbit/s. Normal speed was around 300Kbit/s.

It seems like Clearwire was counting on people not using the connections. I recall even having troubles streaming youtube over it seemingly due to some sort of QOS/priority management. Seems oversubscribed, and the terms of use are pretty hostile.

There are article detailing that this is huge, sprints buyout by softbank and now controlling stake in clearwire seems like a bunch of failed groups getting together. But the thing is if they execute right they could be huge because they have an insane amount of spectrum that could make them the most spectrum rich cell provider in America and now they have some money too.

Of course all of that hinges on their ability to break with tradition and actually execute, turn off all legacy connections from nextel and wimax and push fast to blanket the country in LTE. If they do it like they have in the past it will just be another long drawn out process where they are so far behind they never catch up and end up making more horrible desparation deals like the wimax 4g and horrible iphone contract that push them further into debt.

I have Clearwire for free because I bought the Evo 3D on Virgin. It serves its purpose well enough. Typically between 3 to 6 Mbps download but the latency is killer.

Back